Options

Too much pressure?

Lil'SuzieLil'Suzie Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
I started an apprenticeship about 3 months ago now and my manager is complaining that I'm still not ready to take my A+ and N+ exams yet. I'm not sure what to do as I genuinely think my job may be on the line. He's a nice guy and everything but doesn't have a great track record of keeping apprentices for more than a few months. He doesn't seem to appreciate the fact that I'm an apprentice! When I ask for help in the shop he just says to research it, then complains if I can't fix the problem myself icon_sad.gif

I knew nothing about computers before I started and must admit I've learnt a lot, but I'm fairly sure he's going to think of an excuse to get rid of me soon and don't want to give him another reason (Still don't have a contract so could just get rid of me whenever...)

What do I do? I've been studying since I started but there's so much that isn't going in! How long would you expect each exam to take to study from scratch? (We don't really do networking at work so that I'm learning completely alone...)

Here's hoping you can save my mental health!

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Control what you can, ignore the rest.

At the end of the day we can only do our best and if you are doing that, you have nothing to fear.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You knew nothing about computers before you started? How did you get the apprenticeship, if so?

Aside of that, expecting 2 certifications completed in 3 months is more than outlandish lulz. I want you to focus on something you said, ok? You said, "He's a nice guy and everything but doesn't have a great track record of keeping apprentices for more than a few months." So you see, this has nothing to do with you. This is something he normally does. So if he does get rid of you soon, it's just the usual item he does... for what reason, I don't know, but it's about him, not you.

I have a bunch of crap that slows me down in studies (ADD, Dyslexia, Don't move on until I 100% grasp something), so it takes me a long time to study for a cert. Judging by what I see on this forum though, it seems to take about 3 months for most here to study for one cert., so expecting a completion of 2 certs in the same time frame is unreasonable.

If I had to wager, I would probably guesstimate that this 3 months for 2 certs act is probably how he's gotten rid of apprentices in the past. For whatever reason, this seems to be a cut-off period for him. So again... remember... it's nothing about you.

Are you close to completing one cert? Just asking for your own growth and success. It's not about this apprenticeship.

Another thought/question: Do you know if he gets some kind of monetary bonus/stipend from an org or gov for taking apprentices, or if he's somehow required to take apprentices? (I ask because I'm trying to figure out if this guy has some kind of motivation to take them in the first place which could make him feel "forced" and therefore begrudged... then taking it out on the apprentices ... OR if this guy is really just an
    who uses this situation to get his rocks off).

In the meantime, try to relax. Make sure you're getting adequate rest, healthy food, and taking some time just for yourself so you can wind down. Go out with friends. Spend time with family. Live life. Don't spend all of your time concentrating on this. It's not healthy.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with DatabaseHead.

Just do what you're doing and put full effort into it. If you are doing the best that you can do learn everything then dont worry about it but if you're not then figure out how you can. I don't think that he's being mean by telling you to research something but he is being mean by complaining that you can't fix it on your own. Shoot, there's a lot of stuff that people don't know how to do and need other peoples help.

Here is what I suggest that you do. You research a problem and try to fix it. If you can't fix it, research it again and if it doesn't work then go to him/her about it but make sure you explain what you did though.

I'm the only guy at my job but I can call in for help, which costs us money. But I do my best to research it first. Sometimes I don't do things the right way. For example, we couldn't remote into a windows server and the host had to be restarted and everything started to work. Well I could have did that but I wasn't sure what would happen if I did that and so I had someone with way more experience than me do it.

Shoot it took me like two years just to learn how to subnet. If it takes you a long time to learn something, its okay. We all have our own struggles with learning technology.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Three months would be a really good time to complete just the A+. Some people take six months for that alone. Three months for both A+ and N+ is absurd, especially considering how N+ difficulty has gone up quite a bit recently.

Your boss sounds like a wanker. Pace yourself, keep studying, and if you get canned, move on to a better job. This is just one of those unfortunate scenarios where the outcome is mostly out of your control, so try not to stress about it (I know, easier said than done, but it's the best way to frame it mentally).
  • Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Go get your A+. If he still fires you after that, it's his problem not yours.
    At least you'll have your A+ and some job experience when looking for your next opportunity.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go get the A+, continue your studies and dont let others abuse you, no matter if its your boss or your co-worker. Mental abuse is the worse abuse you could get. Get another 3 months experience there and move to another company.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    As a tech there is always pressure from both the customer and your manager, to do your job faster and more effective, that will follow you probably your entire career so if you can't take the heat you should consider whether you can stay in the kitchen so to say.

IT really is a thankless job, with a very unequal balance of negative to positive feedback I've found, but if you enjoy it dealing with the pressure and a-holes that come with it kind of evens everything out.

I enjoy learning though, most people think I'm some kind of genius for being "the IT guy", and for the most part if I do my job half way competently now my supervisors leave me be and the customers are satisfied boarder-line grateful for my work (which is weird to say).

If IT jobs were slow and boring, and there was no pressure, I would not be in the field. I need to be constantly challenged or I lose interest almost immediately.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP,

Focus on the first exam and dig into the material. trying to focus on all three at once, may overwhelm you.

How much progress have you made?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well welcome to IT buddy. Where a job or business can be on the line any day and you are require to stay on top of the game. 3 months should be good enough to pass the Net+/A+ with hands on experience or at least one exam by now. Your manager is correct look it up. In this field be prepare for no one to hold your hand in this field. Show up prepare, knowledge and willing to learn. Maybe he cycle through a lot of appertanice because they really don't try to progress. At the end of the day as other mention do what you can control. But control what you can, act like you want to be there. Up your game by studying the A+, N+ and apply your knowledge.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I started working at an MSP I knew practically knew nothing about computers- I was supposed to be in sales. I understand that it can take time to wrap your heard around the logic (or non-logic) in technology so don't sweat it. Get your experience, get your A+ knocked out. If you're not moving fast enough for him then you'll be all the more prepared for your next job. You'll always have more chances.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3 months for those 2 certs is insane. Keep your resume up to date, I'd say.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To be honest... it sounds like you are already a goner.

But don't feel bad about it; you're weren't going to retire from the place...
    Lil'Suzie wrote: »
    I knew nothing about computers before I started and must admit I've learnt a lot,
    Well there you go!
    That's what matters :]

Don't worry about the certs; focus on UNDERSTANDING the material.
    Your boss is a DBag; it's his job to TEACH you. (You're doing a freakin Apprenticeship)
    Your Failure, is his Failure.
    and it sounds like this clown has a long trackrecord of Fails..

imo, if you are starting from scratch,
    start with the A+. don't worry about the Networking (especially since no one is Teaching you).
    Focus on the 901 exam (baby steps).

Not sure what material you are using; but you may want to supplement it with Professor Messer (he has great videos!)