Options

Stub Zones

flames1000flames1000 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I was hoping that someone who is a DNS wizard can explain what stub zones are for and a proper setup for it and explain in easy terms? It seems that lately, studying for the 291 exam is frying my brain and i have not wrapped my head around this. Thanks to all who have helped in the past. This is the best fourm on the net.

thanks again

flames1000

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    this link is something i found quite useful for stub zones vs. forwarding.

that said, if you need more info i'm sure there are plenty of sites with articles on the subject, keep reading from different sources till you get it.

basically a stub zone holds very few records for a zone, including the authoritative name servers, so if you have let's say a slow WAN connection to one site, instead of having the whole zone transfer, which would take alot of bandwidth, you can use a stub zone in the remote site and the only thing that would get transferred would be the updates to the few records it contains.

since it knows the authoritative name servers for the zone, but doesn't hold any A/PTR records (for the general computers), any dns requests for comps in the zone will be forwarded to one of the name servers, the query will be returned and cached.
    so all it does it the occasional query, and since it caches the result it will then be able to dish it out for any others who make the same request.
    and it keeps up to date automatically with any changes with the name servers (i.e. new IP address).

so essentially it allows name resolution without using major bandwidth for zone transfer, and once it builds up its cache, well its traffic will be even less.
    usually it is for offices that have a low bandwidth connection and you can't afford to have the whole zone being transferred.

as for its setup, well i'm sure you can manage that.

tell me if you have a specific question.
    witty comment
  • Options
    bbbngowcbbbngowc Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dang that's a sweet explanation - Thanks mang.
  • Options
    flames1000flames1000 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome!

thanks _omni_!

flames1000
  • Options
    HowardMHowardM Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok. How do you decide when to use a Stub verses a conditional forwarder verses using a caching only DNS server?

Howard M. icon_confused.gif: