Options

At WGU which is better to get the Cybersecurity or Technology-Security degree?

CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Which is better to get Bachelor of Science Cybersecurity and Information Assurance or Bachelor of Science Information Technology - Security?

Comments

• Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dont necessarily think one is better than the other I am currently in the ITSEC program but will be switching to the CIA program just because it is more aligned with what I do and it matches up better for the MSCIA masters program
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never attended WGU and likely won't. But it looks like the two programs share about 12 or so classes. Also, it looks like both programs share gaining the A+ Network+, Security+, Project+ and ITIL Foundations. I'd just start with those classes so you can easily change your mind later into the program without taking unnecessary classes.

For the BSIT - Security it looks like it you'd get to take 2 operating system classes, some CCNA looking classes, and biology. You'd get two CCNAs.
    For the Cyber one looks like you'd get some obscure EC Council certs.

I don't know, in my opinion as long as you have a bachelor's degree that vaguely includes the words "information" or "technology" or "computer" somehow that's all you need. Maybe 5 years from now things will be different though I doubt it.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Where I see the value in the IT:Sec degree is the flexibility to work outside of the info-sec world with the CCNA: R&S and Security certifications. Many "general purpose" enterprise networking jobs involve being able to configure switches, routers, and firewalls.

Where I see the value in the CIA degree is the inclusion of the SSCP and CCSP from ISC2. They will likely hold more weight for pure play info-sec jobs. Even the Associate designation will be helpful, at least for the government/contractor world. Same with the EC-Council certs. ITIL Foundation cert is a good include, though some will wonder when our fascination with ITIL will end.

Both degrees come with relatively worthless CIW certifications, which is unfortunate. I also don't quite understand where the CCSP certification fits in, seeing as there are no "cloud" certifications to go with it. It seems like they forgot to include something worthwhile, like an MCSA: Linux on Azure or even a CompTIA Cloud+ "primer" certification. What good is a cloud security certification without a general understanding of cloud computing itself? I realize that you don't need a foundational cloud certification to understand cloud security, but it will likely help.

Ultimately, if you already have a solid networking background, I would say the CIA degree is worthwhile. If you are more interested in the networking world and how to secure the network in practice, then the IT:Sec degree would be more worthwhile. Either way, I see both degrees as useful, just so long as the degree program you choose helps you reach your career destination.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BS:IT Security looks more technology focused. Which is fine for most jobs until you become a manager or get into the dryer stuff (audits, risk assessment, etc.), which is where the other comes into play.

I did the BS: IT Security which was great. Lots of hands on stuff and tech stuff. Then, I took the MS: Information Security and Assurance, which aligns with the CISSP. A lot more of the business continuity stuff and just manager level stuff. Which was fine, but a lot less technical (the CEH/CHFI was the exception, but my opinion of those certs isn't too great).

Look at your current position, your career goals, etc. Then, look at which one aligns with those goals. If you're wanting to remain in the technical side of things, configuring firewalls, pen testing, etc., then the BS:IT Sec would be best. If you want to get into audit, risk assessment, disaster recovery plans, then the Cybersecurity one looks best.

Either way, it won't be your end game. No matter what you do, when you finish, you'll be in a much better position. If you take the BSIT, you'll be able to take those EC Council cert exams with more study. No matter what one you choose, you'll be good.

My personal opinion - I'd take the BSIT- Security. A lot of technical stuff, hands on type of stuff. You know the foundations and how things work at a technical level. After that, study and take the SCCP (or CISSP) for the manager level things. You'll have a good foundation of what the policies are doing at the other levels. You're getting a larger view of things. In my opinion, it's more well rounded to go that route. Otherwise, you're more manager material and less technical focused. Not by much, as you'll get some technical stuff, but just overall.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To much Cisco in the BS IT Info Sec track for me. The BS Cyber is a better fit, but not sure if I will look into it or go straight to the MS.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My opinion would be that if you want to get into the security side of it, then go for the cybersecurity degree. The it-security is more generalized network operations with a dash of security being the ccna security. The cyber degree has many more classes dedicated to the security side of it. So I would say if you want to do network administrator type stuff then it-sec is good, but if you want to deal with mainly security related tasks like incident handling and risk assessment then cyber is better. Same as the guy above, you can get your cisco certs on your own time if you want those. If you were to go for super degree then start with the it security and complete the ccna/linux courses, then switch to the cyber degree and finish it out.