Options

Missed first day of work due to being sick.

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Only can control what you can control.

Talk to my boss, all is well instead of waiting to next week, expressed my desire to start this week and we are going for Wednesday.

Just thought I would share, it sucks, but what the heck. Can only control so much.

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    that's why I always start my new jobs on a Tuesday!

Mondays are hard enough :]

(plus it shortens the week)
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's one of those situations where you should just go to work if you're sick unless you're bad enough that you need to be admitted to the hospital. Maybe it works out fine for you, but there are plenty of folks out there that won't have the least amount of sympathy for you. It's rolling the dice.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    new job in new company, or new job in same company?

If you're sick you're sick, nothing you can do. I find it annoying when people come to work sick.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    That's one of those situations where you should just go to work if you're sick unless you're bad enough that you need to be admitted to the hospital. Maybe it works out fine for you, but there are plenty of folks out there that won't have the least amount of sympathy for you. It's rolling the dice.

nah man....keep yourself home. No need to spread whatever it is you have. This is how flu/cold/etc get spread around the office.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »

Naaa you are wrong.....

I was admitted to the hospital for test and I have doctors release to back it up. Like I said I spoke with the boss and she laughed at me for overacting. Wednesday will be my start date, pretty excited.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Things happen, people get sick. Some of the great bosses out there are very understanding. First day? Bad luck for sure. But, you can back it up, and you want to start ASAP. It happens, and good bosses know that. I think she sounds like a great boss!
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HA my first week at one of my past jobs was interrupted by Jury Duty! lol Dude that sucked!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    PC509 wrote: »
    Things happen, people get sick. Some of the great bosses out there are very understanding. First day? Bad luck for sure. But, you can back it up, and you want to start ASAP. It happens, and good bosses know that. I think she sounds like a great boss!

I pushed for today, she said no. Take a day to relax then come in, "it's not like you are getting killed with projects".

I really like what I am seeing from her now. Seems like a great gal.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That is good. I was fired after 3 days. I was the only person on a contract. The contractor threw me underneath the bus when their client said I was 10 minutes late. fun times. I am in a much better place now.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    That is good. I was fired after 3 days. I was the only person on a contract. The contractor threw me underneath the bus when their client said I was 10 minutes late. fun times. I am in a much better place now.

That sounds like you were doomed from the start.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes I was..doomed. LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was only at work for one day my first week and then out the rest. My mother passed away during my first week and they gave me the time off to go be with my family since it is on the other side of the state. That is one thing I may say about my current management - they are very understanding. I had absolutely no dings against me for it. I've heard horror stories from other contractors whose employer who expected them to be there regardless of the situation.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had my dad pass the Sunday before the second week of work at my first civilian job out of the military. They told me to take a week and if I needed more, let them know. The first week didn't count toward PTO, either. Great first civie job experience, for certain.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Naaa you are wrong.....

I was admitted to the hospital for test and I have doctors release to back it up. Like I said I spoke with the boss and she laughed at me for overacting. Wednesday will be my start date, pretty excited.

I am not sure how one could be wrong about it. 1) you said you were admitted to the hospital, so that met the criteria I suggest, and 2) I am not saying I think it is great... I am just saying that there are tons of employers that would just tell you to not worry about coming in unless it were something absolutely serious... they don't care about spreading the flu... heck, my wife is a nurse and THEY don't even understand that people who are sick should stay home even though they tell this to their patients all of the time.

That is just the world the I see out there. So, I don't accept your response :)

Get well, though... sucks to be sick like that. Hope things go well with work, too.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    The intent of the thread was poking fun at my situation, it isn't debatable if it's bad or not...... This is a case by case basis, just like tattoos. Some managers may like the fact you have a sleeve another may hate it then you have everything in between.

Nursing is a terrible comparison, talk about a worthless field. If you want to make 30 - 40 an hr (TOPS) and get killed then nursing is your thing, and you are 100% correct no sympathy for a sick nurse. My wife works PRN right now, until she can get 6 more months of cath lab experience (currently at 4.5 years cath lab) and then it's off to sales. +140,000 base with bonus.

Can't wait........

P.S. Thanks for the get well. Greatly needed.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not very related but once I started my job with a nasty black eye from basketball lol. That was an interesting first conversation with everyone.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Only can control what you can control.

Talk to my boss, all is well instead of waiting to next week, expressed my desire to start this week and we are going for Wednesday.

Just thought I would share, it sucks, but what the heck. Can only control so much.

If I was sick, I always went to work sick, because most of the places I have worked at didn't have sick pay.

I worked with a guy once that was supposed to start the same day as I did. It was awkward when he didn't show up for the first week. He was really sick.

At my last job one of the guys on my team got really sick. At one point, he couldn't even talk. I forgot what he had, but it was really contagious, so he didn't show up for a few days.

He said if we got what he had, than there could be a possibility that we could have this illness every year. I think it was strep throat. Something about certain people being carriers. Needless to say I'm glad I didn't get it.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Just take the day off, it won't be the end of the world
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod

What a charming employer to work for!! Bullet dodged!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com