Ever left a job for a silly reason you stand by?

2»

Comments

• Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This very issue is something I bring up when I'm interviewing. Do you have (a) secure place to lock my bicycle and (b) showers so I can freshen up before I start work? If no is the answer to either of those, then I'll not continue in the hiring process. My quality of life has changed significantly since I start commuting by bicycle, I'm not going to change that for any job.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i worked in philadelphia. I've watched bike thefts happen. Unless you want to take your tires off everyday, there's no way i'd leave my bike outside.

thisguygetsit <-- I typed that in caps. It doesn't have the same effect in lower case lol

Kinet1c -- seriously. Although it rained today lol 2 trains from Queens to Manhattan were hit with the delays. I wanted to start throwing things lol
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    You commute to Manhattan from Queens? On a bike? From where in Queens and to where in Manhattan? Thats a long route man.

lol. Woodside to Times Square. I take the 59th street bridge bike path, then 2nd ave all the way down to 42nd, and stay on 42nd all the way to Times Sq.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I remember reading an article last year about people that commute to Manhattan on bikes. It sounded way too hard-core - especially in winter. Apparently there's even a club of commuters that do regularly - Commuting 40 Miles to Work on a Bike, With Thermals and Fleece - The New York Times from New Jersey.

BTW - the article mentions that there is a law in NYC that requires landlords to accommodate bikes - not sure if it's still in effect though.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Because I’ve tried solving it already. And it is for the best that I don’t bring it.
    I agree. If the employer doesn't want it there, then best not to.
    For those "lock it outside" people lol - every corner has one of these abandoned bikes.
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't leave my bicycle outside in NY either. I hear the bike thieves there are so good they can steal your wheels while you're riding.
    paul78 wrote: »
    I remember reading an article last year about people that commute to Manhattan on bikes. It sounded way too hard-core - especially in winter. Apparently there's even a club of commuters that do regularly - Commuting 40 Miles to Work on a Bike, With Thermals and Fleece - The New York Times from New Jersey.

BTW - the article mentions that there is a law in NYC that requires landlords to accommodate bikes - not sure if it's still in effect though.

I don't have to go THAT far lol. But yes, I do bike in the winter. Thermals, sweats, face mask, skullys...
    That's crazy. Where I live you could leave your bike unchained... all night... for weeks before anyone even thought about touching it. Theft even makes the local paper lulz. Last month we had a skyrocketing 11 thefts and people were shaking their heads and talking about how "bad" it's getting now. So glad I left NY.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah I tried leaving my bike outside in NYC. First the front wheel got stolen. Didn't learn my lesson. Next time the whole bike got stolen. I'm not talking outside all day at work. Like 20-30 minutes tops. Next bike stayed inside.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Years ago..when I rode my bike everywhere. I chained my bike, got off my waitress shift, got to my bike and saw that my lock was stolen and not the bike. LOL Okay.....
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Yeah I tried leaving my bike outside in NYC. First the front wheel got stolen. Didn't learn my lesson. Next time the whole bike got stolen. I'm not talking outside all day at work. Like 20-30 minutes tops. Next bike stayed inside.

Years ago I was in the mall for about 45 minutes. I had, and still have, a giant Kryptonite NYC lock. I came back, my bike was there… but both my tires were gone.

Heart breaking seeing a shiny bike with no tires. I had only had it for a short time as well.

Which is why now, if it doesn’t go inside, it doesn’t come outside.
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Years ago..when I rode my bike everywhere. I chained my bike, got off my waitress shift, got to my bike and saw that my lock was stolen and not the bike. LOL Okay.....

That was me. Just wanted to let you know your lock was inadequate.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That was me. Just wanted to let you know your lock was inadequate.

LoL Freaking psychological terrorist!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone else has pretty much already pointed out why chaining a bike in NYC is pointless. If you have to buy a chain with links made out of metal thicker than your fingers just to lock up your bike, then you know you're fighting a losing battle.
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Everyone else has pretty much already pointed out why chaining a bike in NYC is pointless. If you have to buy a chain with links made out of metal thicker than your fingers just to lock up your bike, then you know you're fighting a losing battle.

I just don't understand why no one does anything about it. Is it a lack of care? Is it lack of sufficient amount of police officers/manpower? I'm thinking with all the cameras in NYC now, they could pretty much follow the thief home... so that means someone is either purposefully ignoring the theft or NYC is chronically undermanned police-wise, and that's why the theft goes unpunished.

And if it's lack of a sufficient amount of police... why do we always have $ for everything else except the most important things like police and infrastructure? <---- Rant here icon_rolleyes.gif
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My boss's company used to support loads of different businesses.

One of the places was a slaughterhouse company and they were throwing a big company party and as they just also renewed the IT contract with us we were also invited.

As someone whose been a vegetarian for 40 years now at the time I politely said I wouldn't be attending. Boss said that it was mandatory. Told him I'll quit now then, no job no need to go.

I didn't go or get sacked icon_smile.gif
    I just don't understand why no one does anything about it. Is it a lack of care? Is it lack of sufficient amount of police officers/manpower? I'm thinking with all the cameras in NYC now, they could pretty much follow the thief home... so that means someone is either purposefully ignoring the theft or NYC is chronically undermanned police-wise, and that's why the theft goes unpunished.

And if it's lack of a sufficient amount of police... why do we always have $ for everything else except the most important things like police and infrastructure? <---- Rant here icon_rolleyes.gif

Cops don't care. A week ago some guy ran over 22 people and killed an 18 year old girl in the process. A stolen bike will not even register in the eyes of the NYPD. I can't say I blame them... there's enough going on. Protect yourself as much as you can, and if you're still a victim, they might care. So if you leave your bike out in the open, locked or not, you aren't doing your due diligence (for NYC standards), they won't care. They'll file a report, but that's it.

Also, people don't stop bike thieves. Generally a bike thief has a very large, heavy, metal object. Get in his way and you might catch that metal object right across your face.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I once quit a job because they kept scheduling meetings during the time I took my lunch break, and expecting me to take my break at a different time. I always took my break at a different time than the rest of the group, and they would give me grief about not "hanging out" with everyone during break time, so they started doing those meetings to force me to take my break with everyone else. So I started burning PTO and taking interviews elsewhere icon_lol.gif

Sounds stupid, but I felt personally slighted by it. Zero regrets.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I can't say that I've ever left a job for silly reasons, mostly because I don't enjoy looking for work. However, I think I've probably stayed in jobs for silly reasons, which ended up being a mistake.

I guess the question I'd ask myself in this position is if that is the real reason I want to leave, how big a deal it actually is, and if there are alternatives. At some point the "silly" reason will probably become a serious one - employer not being flexible/respectful or not being able to fulfil important parts of your lifestyle or feeling that the culture has changed around you and you just don't like the place.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Cops don't care. A week ago some guy ran over 22 people and killed an 18 year old girl in the process. A stolen bike will not even register in the eyes of the NYPD. I can't say I blame them... there's enough going on. Protect yourself as much as you can, and if you're still a victim, they might care. So if you leave your bike out in the open, locked or not, you aren't doing your due diligence (for NYC standards), they won't care. They'll file a report, but that's it.

Also, people don't stop bike thieves. Generally a bike thief has a very large, heavy, metal object. Get in his way and you might catch that metal object right across your face.

Sad story how people would tolerate cops not caring like that.
    In NYC we're just glad if they don't kill us all. But let me not be political here Lol
  • jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm about to give notice and quit working with a client because their director who I report to onsite is a micromanager and kind of a jerk and I'm just tired of it.

It's really good money, but it's just not a fit for me personally. So rather than suck it up for the money, I'm going to move on.
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jayc71 wrote: »
    I'm about to give notice and quit working with a client because their director who I report to onsite is a micromanager and kind of a jerk and I'm just tired of it.

It's really good money, but it's just not a fit for me personally. So rather than suck it up for the money, I'm going to move on.

Life it too short to deal with that nonsense, well played.
  • jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Life it too short to deal with that nonsense, well played.

it really is.

Off topic, are you more on the IT or business side? I have been contemplating an MBA program to transition more into sr IT management, not sure how useful it would be yet though.
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
    Early last week, staff was no longer allowed in the lobby. It was only for guests. We had to use a side entrance to go up a staircase, no exceptions. The security guy said I had to bring my bike up the stairs. Where I usually keep my bike, I have to (no other options) walk my bike through the lobby (5 seconds) to get to the construction area.
    So I asked this past Friday if someone specifically complained about me and my bike.. they said no. Just that they let an employee in the lobby and they got chewed out, so they didn't want to get chewed out again for letting me in with my bike. But that was their way of saying it's silly to have to make me take my bike up the stairs and into the offices (which obviously wouldn't be good, and in everyone's way and an eyesore).
    I asked if I could bring my bike in now, and they said yes. I guess someone realized it was silly to not let me in to the lobby.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jayc71 wrote: »
    it really is.

Off topic, are you more on the IT or business side? I have been contemplating an MBA program to transition more into sr IT management, not sure how useful it would be yet though.

I don't dare call it business, I am not your standard finance, accounting worker, but I am most certainly not IT either. I am data true and through. A misfit of sorts.