Options

Is CCNA Security worthwhile?

packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
We work with a few Cisco security appliances on the job, so I've been contemplating CCNA Sec. Only thing is money is tight right now and $300 is a lot to me, especially if I fail and don't get reimbursed (and I hear a lot of people fail this one). Will it really make much difference in the future on a resume, having more than one CCNA? Or is it kind of like having two degrees of the same level (redundant and pointless)? Just want to know it's a worthwhile pursuit before I commit money. I have access to CBT Nuggets and Boson for training.

Comments

• Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the old one. New one seems more robust. I started on the CCNP track but it needed an overhaul and was a dead-end at the time.

I'm going to say it depends on what you want to do. In my three roles, I've done the networking and the firewalls. But when interviewing for positions recently, I kept getting interest in security-focused roles (note: I have IT: Security degree, Sec+, and CCNA: Sec) so I'm guessing it's beneficial for that.

There's a lot of overlap honestly. If you work with the ASA and SourceFire, you shouldn't struggle much with the technical stuff, especially if you have N+ and S+. Looking at the current objectives, types of malware, social engineering, CIA triad, basic cryptography, AAA, 802.1X, IKE phases, Layer 2 attacks (DHCP spoofing, MAC spoofing, etc.), NAT, etc. is all overlap. So, I don't know how much you stand to learn but that also means it shouldn't be too hard to pass. It also renews your existing CCNA.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I worked with Cisco security devices and it had been about 2 years since the CCNA R&S I'd likely do it as a convenient renewal. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP