Options

Just got a new job- will this count as work experience?

InsomniaaInsomniaa Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys! I know I don't post much on the forums here but I've been a member for a couple years now and check out some threads quite often on TE.

Little bit of background about me: I've been studying for the CCNA off and on for a couple years now but have just recently cracked down and have been studying more diligently the last couple months; preparing for the ICND1 exam in the next couple months.

I'm young- 22 years old and have been working at call centers my whole life which is obviously Customer Service. I currently work at Facebook as a Customer Service Rep and work with customers that advertise on Facebook which is more on the marketing side of things and is far from IT. I just recently got a new job and start next month, working from home doing Tech Support strictly for iOS devices taking an extreme pay cut and temporarily moving back with my parents while my girlfriend and I find a cheap place to live, hoping this would be the experience I need to put on my resume after I (hopefully) get my CCNA later this year.

I know most people start at a help desk of some sort, and I know this isn't a help desk position but I sort of believed that since the position is literally called "Tech Support", that this would count as IT experience to be used for an actual networking position of some sort even though I would be working with Apple devices. I do not care what kind of job I could get as long as it is networking related and pays a bit more.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to wonder if this Tech Support position isn't what I need to hopefully get some sort of actual networking job after getting my CCNA and that I will spend all this time studying and working a job that I know I'll hate, only to find out that I won't have any luck finding a networking job and will be forced to start all over at a help desk.

I appreciate anyone that took the time to read this and would value any sort of opinions, advice or thoughts given to me!

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't count remote iOS phone support as being in the network work experience category. There are other jobs out there.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    iOS tech support isn't the same thing as PC tech support or help desk from a technical standpoint...helps with talking to users but not with exposure to infrastructure.

It might help you get an infrastructure type help desk job, which is a step in the right direction...but this iOS job won't get you into networking directly after or a system/network administrator job...there just isn't the appropriate technical carryover.

The main thing is you don't have technical support or IT experience, which in most cases means the first job probably won't be the coolest thing ever but it can be a transition job. Not to mention if you start getting certifications, you can start to make a better argument for IT jobs.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Yes that is demonstrable IT experience, but keep looking for work, I know someone who started doing that same job role, and over the 6 years I've known him and had him on linkedin he has not progressed.

Its not something to hang a ribbon on your resume for, but its a job you can use as a talking point in interviews, and impress upon the interviewer your desire to grow your professional skills in a more technical role - So don't stop looking!
  • Options
    InsomniaaInsomniaa Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm definitely a bit bummed out but it helps to opinions from other people more experienced than myself. Guess I'll start hunting again soon.
  • Options
    Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Better than nothing.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For jobs that would give you actual networking experience, I'd start with a NOC (Network Operations Center), as it will give you practical experience and exposure to network infrastructure, ticketing systems, devices and learning opportunities in the field you're looking into. Places you might find one are large companies with big infrastructure and often multiple sites. MSP (Managed Service Providers) often will offer these NOC services to multiple customers that choose not to have them on premise. This can give you even more opportunity as you'll usually work with a wider array of technology, platforms, issues, etc. It can be a great launching pad for you to go into engineering. That's not available, you might check out ISP's for help-desk as it could give you some troubleshooting experience and you could transition to a network related role if you get your certifications. Lastly, I'd consider local mom-pop telecommunications companies. One near where I lived actually went to customer sites and ran cabeling and tested equipment. That's hands-on practical experience if you're interested in doing infrastructure/data center work that can give you some practical experience. Hope this helps.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll second the idea that it's not entirely a core help desk type role but I still view it as experience in IT and will help you develop the IT related skills and get exposure to the industry. Will it help you land you first networking job? It certainly can't hurt. I think moving away from the marketing role was a good idea to better position yourself for such. I suggest stick with it for a year so you can certified up. Get your CCNA and then start the hunt for NOC jobs. Warning: Entry level NOC jobs I am confident will pay more over what you are doing now but you might find yourself working less than ideal hours and certainly not from home at first. However they are the perfect incubator for positioning yourself to do something greater with the experience you obtain.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    You can always run cables too. It's all layer 1 work, but every once in awhile you can work on layer 2 devices. Get in good with the admins and engineers; don't talk, listen and eventually once you earn their trust, they will let you get your hands dirty.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!