Options

BOOM! Passed CISSP 1st attempt!

KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
Due to some planned extended vacations (starting tomorrow!), I decided to escalate my CISSP studies seriously about a month ago. I do have about 20 years of practical experience in infrastructure which I'm sure helped along with the Security+ and CCNA Security that I recently acquired as well. My PMP that I got a few years ago helped a lot too since there is substantial common ground. I was really only about 75% sure that I was ready to pass it but I didn't want it hanging over my head on vacation so I took a shot and passed! I retain much more from videos than just reading so my study process was as follows:
1. Watched Cybrary CISSP videos from the 8 domain version
2. Watched Pluralsight CISSP videos
3. Watched CBT Nuggets CISSP videos
4. I felt weak on encryption so I also watched the cryptography series on Cybrary
5. I then did all the end of chapter questions from the Sybex CISSP 7th Edition and any that I got less than 15/20 on I went back and read the full chapter. (I was about 76% FYI across all the chapters) I also scanned the headings for the whole book and read the sections about any terms I wasn't familiar with.
6. I also scanned the 3rd edition Study Guide for the test taking tips and also read anything that was in a box or any headings that I didn't know about.
7. I scanned the Eleventh Hour CISSP book the night before the exam and did all of the end of chapter questions.
8. Also random study guides / flash cards / quizlets I found while researching things.
9. I also loved this video and it made me much more secure about taking a shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87yfzOwzxc

For the exam itself I did the 1st 100 questions, then took a break and had a snack, then went back and knocked out the next 150. I marked 27 for review out of 250 and changed a few answers but mainly left them with my first instinct. I had about 80 minutes left when I hit "End Exam" but I felt pretty good about it so I didn't want to overthink things.

I was encouraged by a post I read about a month ago from a person with a similar background that said he prepared in a month and I'm here to say it is possible! (Thanks WootWoot!) icon_cheers.gif I pretty much didn't do anything except work and study and completely neglected my girlfriend during this past month, but we agreed we would rather have it out of the way so we could really enjoy our time on vacation.

Now the wait begins for endorsement and resume rewriting... icon_twisted.gif

Kyrak
Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!

Did you use the ISC2 CBK at all?

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    Congrats!!!

Did you use the ISC2 CBK at all?
    I have it but the only thing I did was go over the blueprint for key terms. I have a hard time reading dry things and the CBK is super dry so I stuck with other sources. I had plans to do a lot more studying including the CBK for weak areas but I ran out of time so I had to prioritize my resources and the CBK was at the bottom.
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • Options
    trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations !!!
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the provisionally passing club LOL! It's definitely a waiting game for confirmation after passing. The hard part is over and it's time to celebrate!!! Congrats!!!
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! I will be taking my test in June. This helps my confidence as well!
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    safernandezsafernandez Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent! Congrats!

What were the most touched topics? Remember?

Thanks!
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    khiemkpkhiemkp Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Happy for you, congratulations!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Excellent! Congrats!

What were the most touched topics? Remember?

Thanks!
    I would say know SDLC and Web Vulnerability Attack Vectors but YMMV.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
  • Options
    nnethinnethi Registered Users Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□