Options

How to get the first job

NC4564NC4564 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am new to this forum, I am looking for anywhere that I can get some advice as to where to begin. I just graduated with my associates degree in computer information systems. I try to find jobs and it seems all of them want some kind of experience. I am looking at desktop support and other similar jobs to get started. My questions that im looking to get answered are below. Any advice and input will be greatly appreciated.

1.Is there any specific certifications that will make my resume be more appealing or give me more consideration for jobs?

2. I basically learned the basics of IT, not really proficient in one specific area, will I learn more on the job than I did in college?

3. What are some places/careers to look into to land that entry level job?

4. Is there any other tips anyone can give me to get my feet wet?

Comments

• Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    College lab techs are probably the easiest jobs to get.
  • Options
    College lab techs are probably the easiest jobs to get.

Is there a more specific title I should be searching for, I just looked into that and all I am really seeing is people to like exam blood samples, etc.
  • Options
    echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, your first IT job will probably be in something like a call center setting, asking customers to power cycle their stuff (but make a commitment to yourself to dig further for your own knowledge and not accept this kind of sloppy trouble shooting for all cases).

Do that for 6 months for the experience factor that HR likes to see and start looking for something a bit more challenging/interesting. You're always more employable in IT when you are ALREADY employed (funny that). It's a perception thing.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Typical HR..."This job is entry level that requires a degree, plus 3-5 years experience and X number of certifications"

I call these "Ghost candidates", because they don't exist.

I would say get into a Desktop Support role first just to give you the experience working in an IT dept. You can then talk to other people and get ideas on what they do on a day-to-day basis. That would be the start. After maybe a year, you can figure out what specific function in IT interests you most (Networking, Database, Architecture, Security, etc.) and then go from there.

As far as certs go, Net+ and Sec+ are never a bad idea. I personally don't care much for A+...don't ask why, I just think it's just a waste of time.

Hope some of this helps. It can be overwhelming in the beginning, but just keep learning and trying to figure out your areas of interest in IT.
  • Options
    DurangoDurango Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have an online portfolio of your work? A portfolio might include pictures and description of a computer you built, a home computer lab you built for exam practice. If you took IT college classes, you can include a few papers you wrote. If you coded any software for a class or a home project, add screenshots and a description. A portfolio gives employers concrete examples of what you can do. This is far more compelling than just reading about skills on a resume. This can set you apart from other candidates.

This article lists some additional items to add to a portfolio: Your Job Skills Portfolio: Giving You an Edge in the Marketplace
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NC4564 wrote: »
    So I am new to this forum, I am looking for anywhere that I can get some advice as to where to begin. I just graduated with my associates degree in computer information systems. I try to find jobs and it seems all of them want some kind of experience. I am looking at desktop support and other similar jobs to get started. My questions that im looking to get answered are below. Any advice and input will be greatly appreciated.

1.Is there any specific certifications that will make my resume be more appealing or give me more consideration for jobs?

2. I basically learned the basics of IT, not really proficient in one specific area, will I learn more on the job than I did in college?

3. What are some places/careers to look into to land that entry level job?

4. Is there any other tips anyone can give me to get my feet wet?

1. Comptia A+ would help, but is not necessary.

2. Yes, every company is different, but you will learn more about IT on the job than you did in college.

3. Help Desk,Technical support..

4. Work with your school and have them review your resume. Once your resume is polished up, then you should post it on Dice. Recruiters will call you and discuss jobs with you.

Some tips:
    Set up alerts on jobs indeed, here's video on how to do that:
    https://youtu.be/KQzHUiY0oM8

Jobs titles to look for:
    Help Desk

Technical Support

Entry level Help Desk

Anything with 0-2 years of experience would be fair game to apply to.

If you're fresh out of college, then I suggest looking at possibly doing an internship.

Good Luck!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    All of these posts were extremely helpful, thank you guys for all your advice and responses, I appreciate it
  • Options
    Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would start with good foundation certs like the A+ and Net+. It will look good on your ressume
    and will open the door for many entry level IT jobs.

I would also advise you to look for Data Center Technician positions. They usually hire people
    with little to no experience. As long as you are willing to learn and have a good work ethic, this
    position would teach you a lot.

A DCT role:
    1- racks/stacks servers and switches
    2- Runs and connects copper and fiber cables.
    3- Troubleshoots downed switch connections(replaces cable)
    4- Log into servers and set up RAID configurations
    5- Replace bad RAID HDDs
    6- Track your work using Remedy or another popular ticketing system.
    7- Access to load balancers, SAN devices and routers.

***They may do more than this. It all depends on the company.

I'm not sure where you live but Microsoft has Datacenters all over the country. They are always looking for people. The last time I checked,
    ATOS has the contract to staff Microsoft datacenters.
  • Options
    DurangoDurango Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NC4564 wrote: »
    All of these posts were extremely helpful, thank you guys for all your advice and responses, I appreciate it

You're welcome.

Here's a relevant article I just ran accross. Its focused on Info Sec career but much of the advice is good for any IT career track: How to Build a Successful Information Security Career