Options

CCNP or MCSA

rebizzrebizz Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
i ve just finished my CCNA but am confused wether to do CCNP or go for MCSA since i need both certifications advise me please.

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    My guess would be that the CCNP will ultimately do more for your career but since you need to get both and you are asking which to go for first I guess if it was me I might continue on to the CCNP since you should already be in the networking mindset from the CCNA study.

The other view would be the one that my Future father in law has told me in the past He said that I should wait to do the CCNP after 1 year of experience in a job that is heavily network oriented with Cisco... Basically a network engineer job of some sort. Of course this is just a suggestion not a requirement nor is it by any means going to determine if you would pass or fail the CCNP.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That's a tough decision... but I think I would go for MCSA first, because CCNP is harder and more to remember, on the other hand, it may be wise to go for CCNP with CCNA still fresh in mind. Do you need both for work?
  • Options
    Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Since you already have your CCNA I would say go knock out your CCNP.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    it depends have your written any exams towards your mcsa? or would be you be starting fresh. the mcsa exams are not that hard, espically since you have become ccna. but the fact is that you are required to pass 4 exams to become mcsa. i would stick on the ccnp course while its still fresh on the brain. then go for your mcsa

btw congrats on getting your ccna icon_wink.gif
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    I'm not sure if my opinion will count much, since I don't have either one. However since it's just an opinion, then what the heck.

I just finished my CCNA class (in college) and I will take CCNA in less than a month. Also I'm taking MCP next monday. So, lets assume that I pass MCP monday and in a month I pass CCNA as well, then I would pursuit MCSA.
    Since you don't have a MCP yet, then your thoughts might be different than mine.
    Good luck with either one.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    go for the 270, get the mcp, then go for the ccnp, and then go back to finish up the msca (three more).

if you don't have much windows experience and you really want to soak the stuff up i would allocate almost a year to mcsa.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rebizz wrote:
    i ve just finished my CCNA but am confused wether to do CCNP or go for MCSA since i need both certifications advise me please.
    You should tell us a little more about why you need both certifications...

Do you need them for your current job? A new job? To get a job? Did you lose a bet with your friends? Is it a condition of your parole? icon_lol.gif (just kidding about the last one -- I hope).

If you're looking for certification to advance at work -- you'd usually pick the one that is most in demand where you are. If they need a CCNP at work, then go for the CCNP.... if they need an MCSA, go for the MCSA. If they need both -- which one can you finish soonest? What are other people (your competition for the job/promotion/cool project) at work certifying on?

If you're certifying to get a job -- what is your current experience? If you're going for an entry level position, spread the certifications around. You have the entry level CCNA, so go for the MCP and then MCSA if you feel you can pass those exams faster than the CCNP exams.

If you can't think of a reason in whatever your current situation is for getting one certification before the other..... then it is easier to do the CCNP while you still remember the stuff from the CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!