Options

National University vs WGU

devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been accepted into the WGU M.S Cybersecurity and Information Assurance program and start in July. Searching a bit more I found that National University has the same program. Both of the schools are online, however at NU each class runs 4 weeks. There are 13 classes required for the program and I think you can take more than one at a time, not sure though. Does anyone have any experience with this school? I didnt see it in the degree master thread that is stickied.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lots of schools offer the same program. I think you need to look at what your goals, timeline and financial situation is. FWIW, I have no direct experience with NU, I guy I know locally went there for the same program and was still looking to get into the security field, but that could mean almost anything. If you're looking to just check a box saying you have an MS I'd do WGU. If you're looking for big name recognition and money isn't a concern at all there are a bunch of other places you can look into.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just curious...where did you get your undergrad?
  • Options
    I got mine at WGU. I had been in IT for 10+ years already and wanted to finish my degree, worked perfectly for me.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Lots of schools offer the same program. I think you need to look at what your goals, timeline and financial situation is. FWIW, I have no direct experience with NU, I guy I know locally went there for the same program and was still looking to get into the security field, but that could mean almost anything. If you're looking to just check a box saying you have an MS I'd do WGU. If you're looking for big name recognition and money isn't a concern at all there are a bunch of other places you can look into.
    NU is also an NSA/DHS CAE, which is how I found it. I think there might be more learning involved from NU. I am not in any rush to complete, however I am going to be paying for it as of now. NU also offers discounted tuition for active and reserve military members.
  • Options
    Yep, like I said, it just depends what you're looking at an MS program for. I don't think I've ever seen a job listing asking for DHS/NSA lists, so I don't know how much that counts for. I'm still undecided on my own MS plans which is why I'm interested. I try to weight it as something like if I can do a WGU MS in a year almost for free with tuition reimbursement vs going somewhere else with marginal name recognition difference, spending 2-3x as long and easily 10K+ extra in payments. If I used that same time to do SANS certs, OSCP, etc, I might be even further along, etc.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No experience with either program but I've done 5-week, 6-week, 10-week, and 13-week online college courses in the past. The 5 and 6-week classes were a little too rushed to provide much long term learning value in my opinion. If it's just a check box who cares though.

I couldn't imagine a 4-week course. Especially grad-level, online only, trying to coordinate some project with a bunch of other students with differing motivations as to getting an A, merely passing, or not even that. No thanks!
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222 wrote: »
    No experience with either program but I've done 5-week, 6-week, 10-week, and 13-week online college courses in the past. The 5 and 6-week classes were a little too rushed to provide much long term learning value in my opinion. If it's just a check box who cares though.

I couldn't imagine a 4-week course. Especially grad-level, online only, trying to coordinate some project with a bunch of other students with differing motivations as to getting an A, merely passing, or not even that. No thanks!
    I am getting more info today. It appears that the classes are both online only and blended, online and in person. They are not starting until November. I am going to see if my CEH will transfer in.