Options

ICND 2 expired - what do I do?

Haroldg12Haroldg12 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I just found out that my ICND 2 expired today and my ICND 1 expired last year. I took the two part tests instead of taking the whole exam.

I read that if I had passed my ICND 2 before the expiration date, I would have gotten rectified for both. Well, it's too late for that now.

Since my ICND 2 expired, do I have to take both exams to re-certify? If so, can I take my ICND 2 first, THEN take my ICND 1? or do I have to take my ICND 1 then ICND 2?

Comments

• Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Since you passed both parts of the CCNA, then you could just restudy and take the composite exam (200-125) unless for some reason you want to take it in 2 parts again.

As for ICND1 or 2 first, I believe you can take whichever one you want first.
  • Options
    Haroldg12Haroldg12 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the response MontagueVandervort.

Would you happen to know how much the composite would cost? How many questions would that be? I'm assuming 100? because each one was around 50.

Thanks
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The composite 200-125 exam is 50-60 questions, but they are taken from both the ICND1 and ICND2. The exam costs about twice the ICDN1 or ICDN2, so you it's more about saving time than saving money. If you want to save money, it's worthwhile looking around and buying an exam voucher from a reseller, rather than paying through Pearson. You can also generally find coupon codes for a discount of 10%+ fairly easy.

And just a technicality, the exams don't expire, it's the certifications. This won't make much difference to you now but for future reference, or the reference of people searching this forum for answers...

Technically, both your CCENT and CCNA R+S were valid until yesterday. You can renew a certification (recertify in Cisco parlance) by taking an exam at the same or higher level. So you could have renewed your CCNA by taking another CCNA level exam eg the 210-260 IINS which would have also gained you CCNA Security or the 200-355 WIFUND to gain also CCNA Wireless, meaning you could have 2 certification which would then both expire in 3 years from the CCNA exam. Or take the ICND2 exam again, or you could have done a CCNP level exam, like 300-115 SWITCH, or even a CCIE Written exam.

Cisco make it pretty easy to accumulate a large number of certs this way, since you only need to pass one exam to keep renewing. The downside is once the certs expire, you need to start from the beginning. You just need to keep on top of your expiries and sit an exam within the time period.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM