Options

embarrassing problem

Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
As title suggests i'm embarrassed to ask this here seeing as it seems to me to be a simple issue that i cant seem to fix.

Problem:
constant no connection/DNS issue

so my set up is as follows , i have wimax, a dish on my chimney feeding to the ISP router in living room. This router i have no access to can only do a ipconfig from a laptop connected to it. (can't change any settings etc) (call it RouterA)

i have ethernet over powerline plugs one next to RouterA and other plugged in upstairs feeding RouterB, RouterB is a Tp-link soho router (archer C2 model)

All cables are new and even tried others to make sure wasn't them.

Basically what happens is the connection (plus the wifi) from RouterB cuts out every so often, a page on my desktop hard wired to RouterB will just stop loading and get the cannot connect to....Dns message.
At same time if i try use my phone over the wifi off RouterB that will also not work. But will work if i am connected to routerA

so problem lays somewhere between RouterB and plug.

so from EoP plug in bedroom its plugged into the wan port on RouterB with DHCP enabled on routerB , if i disable DHCP on RouterB i lose connectivity and actually have to reset the routerB to get back into settings.

what am i missing here.Any help appreciated

p.s after last reset of routerB all went well for about 4-5days before DNS started again.

Steps Tried :
new cables
reset of router to factory defaults
reset of PC (even tho im sure its a router settings issue)
DHCP enabled + disabled

any help appreciated

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have IPv6 enabled? Have you tried turning it off?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Instead of plugging the line into the WAN port of Router B, turn off DHCP on Router B and plug the wire that was in the WAN port into one of the LAN ports. You'll get DHCP from Router A and will probably no longer have the issue.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for lack of response i forgot i posted icon_lol.gif

i have tried all that and still same , i had a VPN installed on pc and have just uninstalled it and hoping that solves the issue BUT that wont explain how it also messes with the router wifi etc , as the VPN is/was on just the PC. i will give it a day or two and see that make a difference.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A lot of times a firmware upgrade will fix random issues with these soho routers. If everything looks good I'd give that a shot.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "As the title suggets" -- I thought this would be about flatulence or something lol