Options

Problems with making the jump

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So this is gonna sound stupid but I worry about applying for jobs to where I look for them (mostly to see whats going on and how things are changing) but when I find a few, I won't apply.

I have no problem learning new skills or doing risky things from time to times but I swear it's like my mind is trying to protect me from the unknowing and I need to get over that.

So if anyone has had the same issue, what did you do to push pass it?
Once in a while I'll just try not to care and I'll just do something that I'm worried about but with applying for jobs, I worry so much...
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kind of like test driving a car. It's free and you get to ride in something cool and new. You just need to deal with the discomfort of a little sales pressure. I find it's easier to do by turning it into a bit of a mental game, so to speak. Whatever the salesman says is meaningless gibberish that I politely nod my head to and eventually walk out of the dealership. I believe the same kind of non-seriousness could be applied to job shopping.

Maybe if you apply solely with the intention of 'practicing your job interview' skills, with no intention of changing jobs, it won't seem as intimidating as the real thing.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Stop thinking so much! Just dive in!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    just-do-it-hed-2013.jpg
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice Yoba.

Scaredoftests, I was thinking about it and I really should.

UnixGuy.... :D:D:D
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My push on was the company going under.

I took an opportunity to work for an MSP which is out of my comfort zone but my troubleshooting skills have rebounded and I'm learning all sorts of new things. Yeah, some days are stressful but for the most part, I'm more happy now than I was in my corporate IT support job (nothing ever broke and we never upgraded things so I was reduced to running ad-hoc queries and reports. I love SQL so I didn't mind). I'm getting my hands on servers, up to date OSes, networking equipment, VMWare and the list goes on. To quote The Steve Miller Band "You know you got to go through hell before you get to heaven"

@Yoba222 I remember that Dilbert when it came out. "Stand back, I'm certified!" "Well, that didn't work like the book said it would." Paraphrased of course.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's normal for a lot of people to fear the unknown, especially if we have families. I used to be a lot more fearless when I got into IT, but now that I'm married and have a mortgage, car payments, student loans, etc., it's a lot more to think about.

This feeling you have is normal. When I applied for my current job last year, I was so hesitant to even come to the interview. When they offered me the job I was so back and forth about it, because it was a riskier move for me because the company wasn't doing so well at the time. It turned out to be the best move I've made in my career so far.

It's all about growing your experience in interviews and building confidence.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,051 ■■■■■■■■□□

When you think about it this way.... what's to be afraid of?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Actually the pic I posted wasn't a joke.

Do what you can to prepare and be ready; but then make the jump. As it, do first, think later.

I moved across the world more than once, without a job - money - contacts; nothing. I did what I can to prepare, but it was a big gamble really as I had money for few weeks...it worked out. but even if it didn't, I would've survived (I think) anyway.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Throw everything against a wall and see what sticks. I see some senior type people on here saying they only apply to 1 job at a time and such. But when you're just trying to get in somewhere at the bottom, there's strength in numbers. Apply, and repeat.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    It's stressful as hell. Taking time away from your desk to be on the phone, wasting PTO, coming up with the excuse to use the PTO, doing the research/prep for the interview. I hate everything about it. If I decide to start looking I generally make a list of things I like and things I hate about my current job and then compare whatever job prospect I have against that. I usually wait until I get the call back/in person interview offer before comparing though.

The initial applying part you just have to not care. A lot of people talk about tailoring your resume to the position and such... I might be and the shorter end of the fence for this but **** that noise. Unless you're applying for a dream job - Just churn out a cover letter for the role and see what happens!