Options

renegotiate a salary...

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
Long story short, in a role 4 mths. When i interviewed they pressed me on a certain area that i didnt have too much experience of so they offered ne 10k less, start job and realise they dont even use the technology! That manager has left within the last month and new one started. Any way to renegotiate?? Kind of annoyed icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Four months in? You're definitely still easily replaceable. You could try to renegotiate, but they could also just a new employee that won't badger them about pay every few months.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So that's how the jerks do it. When negotiating a salary, find some area the candidate is weakest in. Act as if that area is needed and important. Use it to lowball and save a few bucks.

On the bright side at least that cancer of a human being is gone from where you work.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Is this a contract or did you sign some sort of offer letter than explained job duties? What were you interviewing for and what did you get if you don't mind me asking?

There is a sweet sounding gig very close to me that I got a heads up on, but come to find they unbox gear / configure it / rebox it for shipping in a warehouse and lab room, **** doing that every day.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Once you are in...your shot at renegotiating is basically not going to happen. Your best shot is try to get promoted, change roles in the company, or change companies. This is why your starting salary at a company is so important because it sets up future raises, and the strategy you can take as you progress your career.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry, but you are bottom of the totem pole. One thing I would suggest is continue to learn and develop your skills, then when it comes time for yearly reviews you can show off your new knowledge that the company may be lacking in and try to push for a 5-10% raise.

It will depend on what you have accomplished, but I did that at a former job. They wanted to give me the bare minimum 2% increase, but I wrote everything down I learned and was able to demonstrate how the company benefits from that knowledge. I ended up getting a 10% increase.

That would be your best approach.
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    So that's how the jerks do it. When negotiating a salary, find some area the candidate is weakest in. Act as if that area is needed and important. Use it to lowball and save a few bucks.

On the bright side at least that cancer of a human being is gone from where you work.

Yes at least hes gone icon_smile.gif