Options

I interviewed for my dream job yesterday.

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
I think I did well. The job description is more closely aligned with my resume than any one that I've ever read. The group of folks interviewing me did a great job, and there was only one question that I didn't feel great about. The final question of the interview was "How's your Liver? We like to have a good time down here."

I've got a good job now that I'm happy with, but I'm always in the market...

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If that was your last question and they gave the impression they like to have fun, I'm pretty sure you are almost guaranteed that job.
  • Options
    superbeast wrote: »
    If that was your last question and they gave the impression they like to have fun, I'm pretty sure you are almost guaranteed that job.

I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but it's hard not to get excited and look forward to hearing back. It's a huge company with 100K people. I've never been a part of an organization that big before.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Liver lulz icon_lol.gif Good luck!
  • Options
    Liver lulz icon_lol.gif Good luck!

May we all test our livers responsibly this weekend!
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!

But some sober and boring observation here, if the job is a dream job and for a company that is among the best at what they do, "did well" usually means "not enough".

Elite positions usually have a lot of applicants who are just awesome, have education, experience, certs and everyone can talk the talk. The interview should not only be absolutely flawless, it should go above that.

Flawless interview means that a few technical guys grilled you on technical subjects and you just happened to know everything.

Above means that they felt that you align with the team, that you asked them right questions, you challenged them a bit yourself, you weren't boring, they felt that you love what you do, you researched all of them and the company and knew the challenges they had and hinted on what your role would be at solving them and hinted that you did work researching them.

At the top it becomes very competitive and doing well just not enough. I'm trying to break 250K these days (everything below is not a dream job) and my interviews usually go flawless, but it's just not enough, because I compete with folks who are probably better than me.

Keep us informed on how it develops.
  • Options
    Good luck!

Thanks!
    But some sober and boring observation here, if the job is a dream job and for a company that is among the best at what they do, "did well" usually means "not enough".

I don't disagree. But as Liam Neeson would say "I have a certain set of skills." Infosec is only about %30 of the position.
    Elite positions usually have a lot of applicants who are just awesome, have education, experience, certs and everyone can talk the talk. The interview should not only be absolutely flawless, it should go above that.
    Flawless interview means that a few technical guys grilled you on technical subjects and you just happened to know everything.
    Above means that they felt that you align with the team, that you asked them right questions, you challenged them a bit yourself, you weren't boring, they felt that you love what you do, you researched all of them and the company and knew the challenges they had and hinted on what your role would be at solving them and hinted that you did work researching them.

One of the panel members had her doctorate in optical data transmission, so they had some elite level expertise on hand to grill me. Since this position is cross discipline, the qualified applicant pool is a little smaller.
    At the top it becomes very competitive and doing well just not enough.
    I appreciate that. This position is entry level on an elite team. It's a foot in the door to high earning potential and a place to retire from. We can only see from here. And the nice bump in pay will be nothing to sneeze at.
    I'm trying to break 250K these days (everything below is not a dream job) and my interviews usually go flawless, but it's just not enough, because I compete with folks who are probably better than me.
    Keep us informed on how it develops.

Man, I hope you get there. I'm trying to maximize my earning potential while developing my technical skills. I feel like this will expose me to some great technologies and give me a chance to influence a large organization with driven folks. If I don't get it, I won't be crushed and I'll continue to grind on my other goals.
  • Options
    cisco4lifecisco4life Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck to you Ertaz!
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck and keep us informed!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    Well, they approved my expense report for the travel to get to the interview, so it's not a total loss. Still no word.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Well, they approved my expense report for the travel to get to the interview, so it's not a total loss. Still no word.

How does that work btw? Did you have to ask for it? Was it offered? And how far are you from the place where you had to interview at?
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Ertaz - hope you get it!

do you want to share any details about the job itself, though?
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »
    How does that work btw? Did you have to ask for it? Was it offered? And how far are you from the place where you had to interview at?

I went through an initial phone screening interview and they asked if I wanted to do an expenses paid onsite interview. They would pay the Airfare up front but flying from here to there would take as much time as it would to drive, so I chose to drive. I will be getting a decent mileage check.
  • Options
    MitM wrote: »
    @Ertaz - hope you get it!

do you want to share any details about the job itself, though?

Thanks man. I will after the process is final, once it bounces one way or the other.
  • Options
    oscposcp Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fingers crossed for ya!
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. It's been a week with no word. He said it could be up to 2 before I heard anything back.
  • Options
    Well still no word at the end of week two. I'm thinking that it didn't work out. I sent a thank you email to the panelist who gave me his card immediately after. I followed up with a thank you to HR today for the scheduling and prompt payment of the expenses . In that email I asked if the decision was still in process or if there was any other information I could provide. Maybe they'll grant me some closure on this one.

Oh well, on to the next success...
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yup, move on if you didn't hear from them. I know the feeling of having a great interview for a great job and hearing nothing.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it helps, same thing happened to me for a dream job just this month. 20% pay increase, 100% remote, free SANS certs. Thought I was a shoe-in when it sounded like they used almost the same tools as I use now and interview went well, but they didn't respond to me either after the interview (been just over a month).

Never know, could be better opportunities out there later.
  • Options
    Sometimes the process is slow...especially at larger corporations. I would still hold out hope until I got a "thanks, but no thanks" letter. Keep us posted!
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cisco4life wrote: »
    Sometimes the process is slow...especially at larger corporations. I would still hold out hope until I got a "thanks, but no thanks" letter. Keep us posted!

Problem is a lot of places don't do that. They'll just ignore your follow up email and never send you anything. For most public sector jobs, I'd say if they didn't reply to your email and it's been more than two weeks, just move on. If by some small chance they just move slow then it's a bonus, but that's not common.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might get it you never know.

I agree though with others keep on trucking.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep doing what you're doing. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Yup, move on if you didn't hear from them. I know the feeling of having a great interview for a great job and hearing nothing.

Same here. I had an interview at Sega and thought it went really well but heard nothing back.

I really wish companies actually get back to the candidate after the interview.

Good luck Ertaz!
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its also safe to remember that dream jobs sometimes have a plethora of applicants, a lot of companies will go through every single one. Hang tight. Similar thing just happen to me recently, no word then I received two competing offers at the same time.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    I didn't get it. Such is life. Story is not over though, I have other opportunities lining up this week.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You have the CISSP and CASP, you are immortal!
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I had this happen with a pretty big company. It wasn't a dream job just a significant step up. Went to interview for one position, they actually recommended me to another dept. I was told I had to interview on <24hr notice. Despite having a cold and irritating my boss a little I went. I didn't do amazing on the technical side, but we got along really well. Figured that would at least get me a response where I could ask what I could improve, etc. Didn't get anything after emailing and calling the HR guy a few times a week then again 2 weeks out. Drives me nuts and is by far my biggest pet peeve. Sorry it happened hopefully what you have lined up works out!
  • Options
    blatini wrote: »
    I had this happen with a pretty big company. It wasn't a dream job just a significant step up. Went to interview for one position, they actually recommended me to another dept. I was told I had to interview on <24hr notice. Despite having a cold and irritating my boss a little I went. I didn't do amazing on the technical side, but we got along really well. Figured that would at least get me a response where I could ask what I could improve, etc. Didn't get anything after emailing and calling the HR guy a few times a week then again 2 weeks out. Drives me nuts and is by far my biggest pet peeve. Sorry it happened hopefully what you have lined up works out!

Sending you a PM. This story is interesting.
  • Options
    Ertaz, can you now share the name of the company?