Options

WGU Enrollment Counselor

I received the following email after I told the counselor where I live and I was wondering if anybody currently working outside the mainland U.S. had any problem enrolling.

How long will you be living outside of the US?

At the present time, WGU is accepting applications only from individuals living in the United States and select geographical areas of Canada. (The exceptions are U.S. active-duty military personnel and their families at overseas installations and individuals living in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)

I am glad that I asked about the phone number. Your files shows an address within the US, which is why I did not think to ask about this before.

We can move forward when you come back into the US.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Best wishes,

Ashley Webber

Does an online program seriously have a problem with where an American citizen earns money? The amount of red flags I've seen from WGU is seriously starting to worry me. Should I just do a brick and mortar school instead? I've been accepted to two already, and they don't care where I work as long as I'm an American.

Comments

• Options
    Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They don't have a problem with where you make money. However, they have it clearly stated you need to physically reside in the USA to attend wgu. If that is not possible for you, then choose a different school. No need to disparage wgu, since it's not like they hid that or anything. I have enjoyed my time with wgu so far and had no trouble enrolling, but I fit the requirements.
  • Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    If this was the only inconsistency, I'd let it go. However, too much about that institution seems suspicious. I've been accepted to two tradition school programs. I'll attend one of them instead.
    Thanks to everybody with input.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What exactly is suspicious about WGU?
  • Options
    Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like I said, just choose a different school. I don't know what is suspicious about them. I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary. They are fully accredited and their it degrees, from my perspective, actually focus on skills that benefit actual work.

It's not for everyone. They have a clearly outlined process, and if you aren't eligible then I don't see why they should make exceptions.