Networking strategies (people to people)

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys just generally interested in getting some new ideas for networking. Currently I use LinkedIn, Meetup.com and Facebook but I'm sure you already know.

I currently work in a printing facility (industrial) as a screen printer. I am working on cozying up to the IT department as my certifications and knowledge grow however I would like to expand my social network and I don't really know how to meet techs.

My interests are;

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Running
Hiking
Gaming

The thing is very few techs are into BJJ and hiking, gaming of course but finding locals in an MMO and MOBA environment is difficult.

What have you done that works?? Something concrete.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Conferences are always good. You can meet a lot of people at those in a range of positions. Lot's of people find jobs that way.

My advice...turn your focus away from the tech's and schmooze with the management level folks more. They are the one's who do the hiring.

Definitely on the right track though. It's all about who you know these days.
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^ this is right, who you know will do more for you than your experience/education, unfortunately. Also, being in the right place at the right time is how I got my current Infrastructure job. Going to conferences and local meetups/meetings will raise your chances at shaking someones hand who makes hiring decisions at different companies. Hang in there!!