NOC Job with no prior IT experience

Jayb5635Jayb5635 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, my first time posting here. So here's my story. I spent 10 years working in a condominium. I recently left it to take a part time position in a network operations center in Long Island, NY. It's a downgrade in salary as I used to make 30 bucks an hour, now 25 an hour. I am excited to finally have my foot in the door in terms of an IT career. What I am wondering is, what would my progression be being within a NOC ??? My title is part time computer operator. I'm only a couple days in getting settled, but it doesn't seem to me like I am hands on with networking gear. I sit at a desk, and eventually they want me to deal with service tickets. I also have to keep an eye on tape backups, as this company is the network backbone for multiple hospitals. I don't mind anything thus far, just wondering what my progression in terms of a career can be from here. Any insight would be really appreciated. Apologies for being long winded haha.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Learn as much as you can. See if they will pay for certification. Do you like part time or are you going to school?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Jayb5635Jayb5635 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the part time because a friend of my wife's got me the job. His dad runs the NOC for this company and was willing to hire me with no background in IT and let me learn on the job. I felt as if I could not say no. I would of course rather a full time job. My wife's friend said the last 3 guys to do this part time position were elevated to full time once a position opened. Still, I wonder where I would go from where I am now.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It all depends in what you are interested in. That is great that he brought you on.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    I am very grateful to get my foot in the door. Honestly I am not sure whether I want to stay in a NOC or if I'd rather be a network engineer, more hands on with equipment. The friend who got me the job believes the next job title for me(full time) is network engineer with a 75k annual salary. That seems odd to me, considering my coworkers all have "systems analyst" job titles.
    He thinks my full time job title would be network engineer. That seems odd to me, considering my coworkers are all "systems analysts" per their job titles.
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have any certifications or anything? If not start on your CCENT/CCNA in your spare time and you'll be in a great position to be a network engineer.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jayb5635 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my first time posting here. So here's my story. I spent 10 years working in a condominium. I recently left it to take a part time position in a network operations center in Long Island, NY. It's a downgrade in salary as I used to make 30 bucks an hour, now 25 an hour. I am excited to finally have my foot in the door in terms of an IT career. What I am wondering is, what would my progression be being within a NOC ??? My title is part time computer operator. I'm only a couple days in getting settled, but it doesn't seem to me like I am hands on with networking gear. I sit at a desk, and eventually they want me to deal with service tickets. I also have to keep an eye on tape backups, as this company is the network backbone for multiple hospitals. I don't mind anything thus far, just wondering what my progression in terms of a career can be from here. Any insight would be really appreciated. Apologies for being long winded haha.

You are doing a Helpdesk type job. Which is normal and expected for someone new and especially for someone with no experience. How can they let you hands on with networking gear? Think about it. You have no prior IT experience. Would you know the difference between a switch and a router? It's good that you started as your transition could become easier down the road, but dont expect to be a network engineer making 75k a year within 1 year unless you actually start taking charge of your career.
    You hold your future and your career's future in your hands, no one will hand it to you. Start studying any IT books and hit the beginner certifications hard, Network+, CCNA, Security+ and so on. Trust me when I say this, if you do not work at it and study, it will be very hard to make any type of progression just by working hands on. If you dont study, you will end up thinking this job is not for you and eventually you wont like it. So go get those Network+ books.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LOL

So... You have
    no IT experience,
    no Certifications,
    and (going out on a limb) not much IT knowledge either(?)

Hopefully, you have at least tinkered with computers before?
    Know how to Install a Windows OS?
    Seen/replaced parts on the inside of a computer?
    Created a webpage/blog?
    Torrent using p2p clients?
    Setup your home wifi/isp modem for yourself (or a friend)

My point,
    it's a very long road to become good at whatever you do. It takes patience.
    For these reasons... you're gonna need PASSION.

It sounds like you lucked-up into a good opportunity.
    Don't worry about the longterm Path.

Just focus on learning.
    Go check out the Network+ curriculum; Professor Messer has good stuff on youtube.
    But, to be honest, you may want to consider studying the A+ first (depending on how much you already know/don'tKnow).

Consider going back to school. Find a Community College with a worthwhile Associate's program. That will help supplement your knowledge. (i wouldnt worry about doing a bachelors).

If $$ is an issue, consider working PART-TIME at your old job; Or just get another part-time job (for the shortterm).

Maybe in 5 years... you will be on your way.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jayb5635 wrote: »
    I took the part time because a friend of my wife's got me the job. His dad runs the NOC for this company and was willing to hire me with no background in IT and let me learn on the job. I felt as if I could not say no. I would of course rather a full time job. My wife's friend said the last 3 guys to do this part time position were elevated to full time once a position opened. Still, I wonder where I would go from where I am now.

Certs Smerts, keep grinding and learning as much as you can. Get that full time position!
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    You are surrounded by knowledgeable people. This is your golden opportunity. Don't just sit at your desk and wonder about what you should do.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yet Another Dead Thread.

OP hasn't been back since the day he create the account...