How challenging was the SK0-004 (Server+) for you? Tips/tricks for passing?

certnoobcertnoob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys,

Gearing up to finally take the server+ on July 17. I got the certmaster study material and have been going through that, I usually get at least 2/3 of the questions right. Did you find it challenging? Any tips or tricks for passing or what did you find that a lot of the material covered? I am kind of second guessing myself and wondering if I should reschedule my exam date to make sure I am ready but I am not sure if it is just nerves.

worst case scenario, anyone know if Comptia gives you "second chances" at a reduced rate or are you on the hook to buy a brand new voucher again.

thanks!

Comments

• p@r0tuXus[email protected] Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if you all ready have a voucher, but this option appeared to be pretty handy.
    Save 48% on the CompTIA Server+ Deluxe Bundle
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • shochanshochan Senior Member Member Posts: 897 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's definitely a tougher test than most people think. I would recommend having some server experience going into it. Be sure to use more than one resource to study this exam with, I don't think you can pass it with just CertMaster, but if you are a good test taker then you might be alright. Just be sure to go through each exam objective and KNOW IT, otherwise you might be throwing money away.

"It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good" ~ Danny Carey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, I took the 004 exam earlier this month. I say on a scale of 1-10 1 being easy and 10 being hard, I say it is around 6. Main reason is because some of the questions are situation based and there can be 2 good answers. One being a textbook answer and 1 being real world based answer. When you take the real exam you will see what I mean. Besides that, the other questions were very straight forward provided you read the books for Server+. Didn't have a lot of RAID questions on my exam maybe 3 but shockingly, the RAID questions were easy. I got 835/900 on the exam and finished with 9 mins remaining. That said though, I do have other certifications and most of the material was overlap. Provided you have an A+, Network+ and CCENT background, I say the exam should go fine. Just review the server specific topics like Blade servers stuff like that only seen in Server+ and you should be good. Use the bundle listed in this thread to get a bigger bang for your buck. The Certmaster I feel was ok for quick on the go study. One thing to note though, don't get discouraged if you don't get questions right on the certmaster app. I used the app and got discouraged before my exam but pulled myself together. Hope what I am saying helps. Good luck! PM me if you have questions provided they don't break NDA.
  • certnoobcertnoob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks a lot everyone for your replies!

mastaflash, not sure if this is kosher to ask, but would you say a lot of the questions dealt with a certain subject like networking, power, TCP/IP, industry practices (lots of backup and industry stuff like COOP on the certmaster)? Just wondering what to focus my efforts on the most. This is my first certification but I have been helping out with datacenter stuff for about 2 years now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say for the purpose of the exam, know industry practice concepts like when to deploy patches, backup types etc. the TCP/IP and networking is basic like A+ type of basic. I can't say much else beyond that. Good luck.