Options

Did you find the CertMaster material to be similar to what was on the CompTIA test?

certnoobcertnoob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

Got my server+ exam scheduled for the 17th. I am pretty nervous. This is my first ever certification exam and I don't want to bomb it.

Since it's my first time around I got the CompTIA official "CertMaster" study guide. Depending on the module I usually get half of them right the first time and another 25% right my second go at the question.

Also, hopefully you won't judge me, but I went to a Server+ **** site NOT to cram my brain full of regurgitated information for the wrong reasons, but to see what I would score based off of one of the tests they had, and I got 90/100.

So basically, to make a long story short, I am wondering if any of you have opted to use the CertMaster study guide material for any of your CompTIA exams? And how similar did you find that material to the actual test? I am finding the CertMaster material MUCH MUCH harder than what I found on the practice test I downloaded today. So if it's similar to what's on the CertMaster I may even need to reschedule my exam date but if it's much easier than that, I am feeling a lot more confident.

Thanks a lot and if you have any other resources or suggestions on what helped you with CompTIA I would really appreciate it. I think I'm going to try for net+ or security+ next, or maybe MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used it for my Sec+ and it helped me grasp the concepts a little more, but the questions were nothing like the actual exam. You will likely never find a practice test resource out there that's really similar to the actual exam you are attempting. Just know the concepts and you will be fine.
  • Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    CertMaster isn't all that great. Consider it a part of the process, but don't rely on it solely.

Have a million difference resources and learn to use them all.
  • Options
    MountaineerEEMountaineerEE Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought the main advantage of CertMaster was that it taught you to think the way they ask their questions. Meaning, they won't ask you what is Kerberos, like many other practice exams, they might give you a set of parameters and ask you to implement the best solution.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used it once when I bought the free retake package. I might have used it for 45 minutes. It just seemed like glorified flash cards. Might be great for brushing up and seeing how much you know, but I wouldn't want to use it as a primary means of study.