Options

CISSP Exam 30/6/17 - 1st attempt FAILED 686

OztexsOztexs Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Thought I'd give some feedback based on my failed attempt on the CISSP exam on the above mentioned date.

Background
4yrs info sec industry and previous yrs in IT technical roles ie 15yrs IT. certified Sec+ and CE|H

Gave myself 4months prep and used the following materials ;

1. Cybrary videos - Kelly Handerhan
2. Sybex 7th edition plus Practise exams (averaged 70% on the practise tests)
3. Sunflower overview paper
4. Andriod CISSP study guide
5. Mind Maps & you tube videos on weak areas

I scored 686

My top 3 weakest areas where ;

1. Secuirty Operations
2. Assett Security
3. Security Engineering

What I learnt

1. Practice questions dont always cut it .. READ The book and understand the concepts ! I didnt read much .. just referenced.
2. I had alteast 5 questions on SDLC ! .. i over emphasised on crypto
3. THIS IS ONE DIFFICULT EXAM ! (for me anyway)
4. DONT CHANGE YOUR ANSWERS ! ( after i finished i decided to go back and change my answers, one of them i changed i realised i shouldnt have after the exam)
5. The questions are very different to practise questions
6. I need to review material from different providers ie the official CISSP CBK ? anyone else comment on that ?

Anyway ive given myself 4weeks until the next one and iam writing a new plan .. anyone make suggestions please advise ?

Comments

• Options
    jercxjercx Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I need to review material from different providers ie the official CISSP CBK ? anyone else comment on that ?

yes, they all are basically referenced by the CISSP CBK, but different references will explain it differently, thus will increase your understanding on the topics.

you should be hitting 80+% on the practice exams as a good preparedness indicator.

now that you know the format of the exam, you should focus on concepts and familiarization on the technical aspects. you were pretty close the first time, don't be discouraged and know that this is totally within reach! good luck!
  • Options
    c130jackc130jack Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know how you feel, I got a 697, but I only went through the CISSP Skillsoft.com course and was getting 90% or better on ***********.com practice tests. It would be interesting if someone would comment on the ISC2 CISSP CBK to let us know if we should prepare to take this test with this resource or not.
  • Options
    safernandezsafernandez Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What a pity! Next, you sure are doing well! I do not understand, did you read the Sybex? Or just from above?
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't be discouraged. You've already taking the first step towards ensuring you pass the 2nd time around by identifying your shortcomings (i.e. not reading enough). I felt that the Sybex book did a good job with breaking down each domain. I am not a fan of reading long books, but it definitely helped me retain a lot of key information. Also, the areas that you feel you're weak in from your practice test results, you should consider focusing more reading time on those. For each chapter that you read in Sybex, take the exam questions at the end of the chapter and then take the accompanying online chapter questions. This method will help reinforce the concepts. Good luck!
  • Options
    OztexsOztexs Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks all .. exam is already booked .. gave myself 4 weeks while its still fresh in my head!
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do it! Keep us posted on your retake.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are having issues remembering the info you probably need to find an imprinting technique.

Mine: Read your source material slowly and thoroughly. Use a test engine such as CCCure to gauge your knowledge level and to identify your weak domains. Next ... break out a pen/pencil and notepad. Using cursive, write slowly and clearly. Proofread your notes and then move on to the next item. This technique will imprint the info with ease but will lengthen your study time.

Download Kindle ebook Simple CISSP ($9.99). Use this as refresher after you are VERY comfortable with your main study material.
    I am using Cybex 7th edition that I have read 6 times, 11th Hour that I skimmed through a couple times, and a many notes from the other CISSP in my office. I also research everything and anything thoroughly.

No matter which test engine you use to check your knowledge you need to be scoring at least 85% before taking the actual exam. I am taking my test on 7/14 with two more coworkers,
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dust yourself off and get back on that CISSP horse. You'll break that horse and earn your certification!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil