Worried about commitment to MS products?

If you had any doubt about how dominate MS will be check this link out

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/news/bulletins/vs05pricing.mspx

We really utilize VMware a lot and I was very worried that the cost of MS
licenses would become a huge negative. I mean, we have atleast 10
2003 enterprise vm's on each physical box and we are having to pay for each
one. And, we are paying for VMware. Now, we would just pay for one Enterprise license and get the virtual infrastructure and four virtual licenses.
I would hate to be a MS competitor but you gotta admit this is a master move
when it comes to hurting your competition and convincing IT managers to
continue to use and grow the MS side of things.
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Comments

• skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't necessarily see it as 'hurting' the competition so much as keeping up with the times. If we're having to do more work with less employees, and budgets are tight, they need to get with it too.

Plus, with some moving to more open source where licenses are cheaper, you have to keep up.

It's just a smart move on their part.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Oh, I am very pleased with the move, I have devoted much of my time to learning M$ products and this move just reinforces their commitment to doing whatever it takes to stay competitive. It is keeping up with the times, but this will in my opinion crush VMware, I mean we are paying I think almost $3000 per server for ESX, and now we will pay one 2003 EE license and get four extra! I have already started ramping up on Virtual Server which from what I can tell can do everything ESX can do.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.