Options

SANS Sample Index Layout

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Forum

So after completing my GPEN certification this year and now starting my GCIH. I know a lot of people were asking how do I setup an index? Here is my 2 cents on this topic:

1. Everyone makes their index the way that works best for them. Everyone learns and recalls information differently. No 2 minds are alike!

2. A common format involes (keyword, description, book/page number). Some people go and use sticky notes in their books but again it's all preference.

Here is a sample of how I made my index for GPEN. Hope this helps!

Comments

• Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Thanks kMastaFlash. It should also be noted that when I took SANS 504, the instructor actually gives links to unvetted SANS 504 indexes by previous students.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2. A common format involes (keyword, description, book/page number). Some people go and use sticky notes in their books but again it's all preference.

Here is a sample of how I made my index for GPEN. Hope this helps!

IMO...having the book/page number is key to the index...for those questions where you're not 125% positive of the answer and you're looking at two possible answers left to choose from. Being able to quickly go to the book and re-read that topic is invaluable to finding some little word/point that is in the book that did not make it into the description field of the index.

For the GCIH test, there is an average time of 1 minute and 36 seconds to answer each question. There should be plenty of time to go to the book to look up that one hard question.

--- --- ---

On another note, have you taken any of your GCIH practice tests yet?
    I just got done with one and got a 78% - Time to get back to studying!