Options

Planning to Test this Saturday

djrojas7djrojas7 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I studied for and took my Security+ exam (passed) at the beginning of June; the week immediately following I took a 5 day course with an online vendor for CEH (which I felt was a little rushed).

My plan is to take the exam this weekend (I got a voucher through the online vendor), but haven't yet "booked" the exam.

I have taken two of the Optimized Transcender exams of 125 questions each and got scores of 79% and 78% respectively.

I have a few more nights to study and focus on memorizing nmap switches, subnetting with CIDR and other tools of the trade.

Just curious to hear from those who have taken the exam recently; I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and schedule for this Saturday, or push it out another week or so.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I felt that the exam wasn't hard at all. Although I do not know your technical background. I can say the exam is more technical than the security + that's for sure. If you get 80 +% on your chapter studies and 80%+ above on your practice exam tests then you seem to have a good understanding of the material and should be well prepared (70% is required to pass).

Know your tools and what they are used for and specific purposes, know NMAP switches and their output, know how encryption and PKI works, your CIA and Security triangles, some laws and what they do (HIPPA for example), etc. The test pool isn't large like the CISSP but you should be able to logically work through questions if you do not know them. If you are new to IT or don't have a system / network background at all then I would recommend to study a bit longer.
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    I felt that the exam wasn't hard at all. Although I do not know your technical background. I can say the exam is more technical than the security + that's for sure. If you get 80 +% on your chapter studies and 80%+ above on your practice exam tests then you seem to have a good understanding of the material and should be well prepared (70% is required to pass).

Know your tools and what they are used for and specific purposes, know NMAP switches and their output, know how encryption and PKI works, your CIA and Security triangles, some laws and what they do (HIPPA for example), etc. The test pool isn't large like the CISSP but you should be able to logically work through questions if you do not know them. If you are new to IT or don't have a system / network background at all then I would recommend to study a bit longer.

Thanks for the follow up. I decided to go ahead and book it after all...

I have worked in the IT industry for about 9 years. I've worked in cyber security for the past year and a half or so specifically. I think what got me to hesitate the most was not feeling like the instructor was very thorough in our training online.

I'm still averaging 80% on practice exams, so hopefully I'll at least pass it tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    djrojas7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the follow up. I decided to go ahead and book it after all...

I have worked in the IT industry for about 9 years. I've worked in cyber security for the past year and a half or so specifically. I think what got me to hesitate the most was not feeling like the instructor was very thorough in our training online.

I'm still averaging 80% on practice exams, so hopefully I'll at least pass it tomorrow. :)

If you don't mind me asking how did you get started in cyber security? I really would like to get into this field.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Just passed my CEH exam! Woo hoo!

Well, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be; probably one of the most easiest multiple choice tests I've taken. I can't believe how many questions there were where THREE were obviously wrong.

I feel like I had a pretty good grasp of the materials that I was tested on, save for a handful. Not sure what my passing score was, but I'm just grateful to have that finished!
  • Options
    Research and learn online and with books, etc. Push yourself to always continue learning. Seek out, and take advantage of opportunities that come your way to work in IT, and progress as you become more knowledgeable and skillful. You must have a good understanding of computer technology and networking to really make it far, but don't be discouraged if you're not there yet...start today and learn, learn, learn.

The key (imho): you need to know how to learn.
  • Options
    Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    djrojas7 wrote: »
    Just passed my CEH exam! Woo hoo!

Well, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be; probably one of the most easiest multiple choice tests I've taken. I can't believe how many questions there were where THREE were obviously wrong.

I feel like I had a pretty good grasp of the materials that I was tested on, save for a handful. Not sure what my passing score was, but I'm just grateful to have that finished!

Congrats!

I'm taking the exam in 2 weeks. Hoping for the same results.
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that's awesome!!! I been in I.T about 10 years mostly doing help desk and troubleshooting. Just started to really get into MCSA since my job wants me to get that. I really would like the CEH since I like that kind of stuff. Breaking into things ( My LAB ) lol ... and learning on how things work. (
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    useravuserav Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    I'm taking the exam in 4 weeks. Hoping for the same results.
  • Options
    Arczi84Arczi84 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation!!!! What will be your next step in ethical hacking :)?