Options

ECSAv9/LPT

McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
During my time on this forum I have noticed there is very little about the ECSA or LPT on here, so I have decided to document my experience and progress with these 2 courses. Now I know have been on here before bashing the EC-Council BUT my current employer is going to pay for these courses and the reviews and feedback I have seen about these has been MUCH better than the CEH. As of right now my funds have been approved and I am just waiting for them to drop into my bank account so that I can purchase the course. So stay tuned folks as this will be techexams first ECSA/LPT full progress/write up!
I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    given that you did OSCP, you may good ECSA a walk in the park. Do have fun and keep us updated.
  • Options
    So I finally received my funds for the course Tuesday and purchased the course late Tuesday night. My payment was processed and I was given access to all of my course material and labs around noon on Wednesday. Here is what I got:

[h=3]EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA) Course[/h]
    iLearn Self-Paced Base package includes:
    • Instructor led training modules (1 year access)
    • Official e-courseware (1 year access)
    • iLabs access (6 Months Access)
    • Certificate of Completion for each course
    • Exam Voucher
    Price: $1899.00

So far I have went through the first 3 modules of the course and have completed the corresponding labs. My opinion of the course so far is that the material is very good and much better than the CEH material(as it should be since this is a more practical and higher level course). So far my modules and labs have been over using wireshark for packet analysis, the pentesting methodology, project management, reporting. The wireshark labs showed some different ways to examine packets but didn't really go into the reasons as to why these ways were useful(I personally have never used these methods for packets analysis). I think the point of the lab was really just to get people back into the swing of using wireshark again. Now I'm going to talk about module 3, Pre-Penetration Testing Steps, which is always everyones favorite stuff to read and learn about(I'm joking). Although this stuff is generally the more boring material and isn't given much attention by most outside of the industry, as a pentester I would like to express to you that this module is VERY IMPORTANT. In the real world you will need to know this stuff and understand the processes thoroughly. Don't **** yourself here, and take the time to really understand these steps and processes, it will benefit you greatly if you ever get into pentesting.

That is all I have for now, I plan to complete several more modules over the next few days and maybe even some challenges. Stay Tuned!
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    So a few days have passed and so far I have completed 4 of the challenges and 6 of the labs. The challenges have been interesting so far as they all do not require you to obtain root/system level access to the systems. They instead require you to look for certain files, obtain hashes or exploit certain applications. The host discovery challenge took me the longest to complete as they do not give you exact subnets to scan, they only give you the first octet of the networks. Knowing that this would take forever, I wrote a custom ping script(thanks OSCP!) and was able to discover all of the hosts within a couple of hours. The labs so far have been kinda "meh", a lot of review on stuff I already know or tools that people just really don't use anymore. I do enjoy some of the videos and the challenges so far though, a lot of the videos or just reinforcing knowledge that I already had but that's not necessarily a bad thing. All in all, If I hadn't already done the OSCP, this would have been a decent course to go with IMO.
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    McxRisley wrote: »
    So a few days have passed and so far I have completed 4 of the challenges and 6 of the labs. The challenges have been interesting so far as they all do not require you to obtain root/system level access to the systems. They instead require you to look for certain files, obtain hashes or exploit certain applications. The host discovery challenge took me the longest to complete as they do not give you exact subnets to scan, they only give you the first octet of the networks. Knowing that this would take forever, I wrote a custom ping script(thanks OSCP!) and was able to discover all of the hosts within a couple of hours. The labs so far have been kinda "meh", a lot of review on stuff I already know or tools that people just really don't use anymore. I do enjoy some of the videos and the challenges so far though, a lot of the videos or just reinforcing knowledge that I already had but that's not necessarily a bad thing. All in all, If I hadn't already done the OSCP, this would have been a decent course to go with IMO.

Keep us updated. I just got my CEH a few weeks ago and I think I'm going to go down the ECSA path in a bit here.