Options

Recruiter or Direct Apply

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
Do you prefer to use a recruiter to find jobs or rather just search and apply to companies directly?

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Recruiter... 90% of the time applying directly sends your resume in a black hole. I don't waste my time any longer with direct applications.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Recruiter. If you're a decently qualified candidate, they'll usually do a good job of putting your resume directly in front of a hiring manager, which means an interview about 50% of the time.

As opposed to HR figuratively throwing out 50% of the resumes in a stack because they don't like unlucky people.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd only use a recruiter if I needed a job fast. If you tailor your resume to a job ad and have most the things a company is looking for, from my experience I've gotten calls back when applying directly most the time.

Recruiters are good at finding places quickly though.

I'm pretty picky where I apply to and never have been in a huge need to find a job quickly, the reason I usually don't use a recruiter.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I apply directly and don't use recruiters because 97% of them become the scum of earth with their tactics. Haven't had the pleasure of knowing the other 3%.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I apply directly and don't use recruiters because 97% of them become the scum of earth with their tactics. Haven't had the pleasure of knowing the other 3%.

Care to elaborate more on the tactics they use so we can be more aware?
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're early in your career, recruiters can be beneficial, as they have the ability to get you interviews, even if you're not qualified. Sometimes even skip the interview, and just place you somewhere, because they only make money if a seat is filled.

But if you're an established professional, you shouldn't need a recruiter anymore.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    directly!!!!!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    - They lie. I engage recruiters that message me on LinkedIn on a regular basis just for the sake of research. Two days ago one pitched me a position totally outside of my areas of expertise as they appear on my profile. He promised a "good salary". I replied asking what is his definition of "good". he replied along the lines of "Trust me, it's good. We can talk about that later." I asked again what the compensation was. He said he didn't have that info at the moment. I went on a rant on how I get an average of 15 position pitches per week and the less information the more I tend to ignore them. I told him to take a hike because I had no time to waste. He then replies saying it was $120k. The role should've been at least a $150k one.

- A lot suck at the one job they have. Some try to play the "spray and pray" game. A month ago a lady pitched me another security role. I ask for the job details. What do I get? some financial role that I don't even understand. It even required some FTC license. We went back and forth 3 times until she finally understood she sent me the wrong thing.

- The other day on LinkedIn some recruiter posts about how candidates are all wrong for wanting to know compensation up front. He went on this long post/rant explaining how it's a two way street, negotiation, understanding fit is right, etc. It was hilarious how every single one of the 100+ posts was telling him that his tactics are old school and they don't work anymore, especially in IT. I wish i bookmarked this because it was epic. Total of zero comments in his favor.

- A lot have no idea what the heck the customer needs. If the customer says "find me a penetration tester" the recruiter should be able to dissect that request and help them understand that what they need/want is someone with vulnerability management experience. In a perfect world I want to think they are trusted consultants instead of run of the mill people pushers.

- The lowest scum in my book are the rats that look up where you work, call the switchboard, and try to pitch you something at your office phone.

- Don't even get me started on Pratish for HickeyDockey Recruiting trying to get me to move to Akron, OH for $45k and no relocation.
  • Options
    Isn't that the truth #cyberguypr. I have a recruiter hounding me to accept a position that is temp to perm. I have been the temp to perm route and I don't like it. Told her so, she keeps hounding.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate more on the tactics they use so we can be more aware?

They ask for references, not to check your references, but to call them up and try to sell them services.

They pitch that temp to hire thing all the time likes it's the best thing on earth, employers get the try before they buy deal. They leave out the fact that only about 25% of the positions go permanent, not to mention if they are getting a nice contract rate from the employer and paying you peanuts, they have zero interest in you getting hired, they actively throw roadblocks to discourage employers from hiring you. They string you along with promises, while making excuses to the employer why they can't hire you.

Most don't have a clue what the difference between a CCNA and a CCNP is. They are not technical savvy, they are sales people, most don't have a clue what skills or qualifications a job should have, so they expand way too much effort on people that have no chance it getting or interested in a job. If they would educate themselves, they could target positions far more effectively and not waste their time and yours on positions outside your area of expertise/specialty.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    I love it when they say 'they are not like the other recruiting firms'. hmm right
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use recruiters to provide additional information about direct hire jobs I'm interested in. I think it depends on your professional path. Recruiters are good for contract jobs, short-term work, or quick placement. If you're looking for a direct hire role, then I think it's best to apply directly with the company. As NetworkNewb said, if you tailor you resume to the job and have a decent background in the area their seeking, then it's very likely you'll get a call back.
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I feel your pain on getting pitched jobs that aren't even remotely close to what you do or want to be doing. I'm constantly bombarded with everything from roll out deployments to insurance salesman and I'm over here like, "You said you saw my resume but did you actually read it? Because if you did you will notice that I have a security background and do only pen testing." Also the lowball offers with no relocation always make for a good laugh. I had an offer for $65k in Boulder, CO with no relocation(keep in mind I have a family) and I couldn't help but laugh. If you don't know why I laughed just do a quick search on property in Boulder.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know a couple recruiters who I trust, know what I want and only contact me when something matches my background. They're upfront with salary numbers and fairly honest. The bad ones are bad, very bad, but they aren't all bad.
  • Options
    McxRisley wrote: »
    I had an offer for $65k in Boulder, CO with no relocation(keep in mind I have a family) and I couldn't help but laugh. If you don't know why I laughed just do a quick search on property in Boulder.

Don't know why you didn't just take at the offer, 250k for a one bedroom, 1 bath house sounds like a steal to me. :)
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    The bad ones are bad, very bad, but they aren't all bad.

I think the bad ones spam so much, it hard to see/find the good ones in all the noise, unless someone gives you a lead/connection.
  • Options
    talhaansaritalhaansari Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Most don't have a clue what the difference between a CCNA and a CCNP is. y.

Most dont know anything. Saw a job last week asking for a ccna or cissp.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I had to choose one I would say applying directly to a company.

Recruiters are great at getting you in front of hiring managers.

Somethings I will never understand:

I never met a recruiter that has passion for recruiting. They went to college and couldn't find a position within their major, so they went with recruiting.

Interviewing

You think you were dating them. They get really mad if you have other offers on the table. I'm sorry,but shouldn't you be happy that someone wants to hire someone???

They want you to do an interview with them typically at their office. After the interview say they don't have a job right now for you, but will contact you if they do. What is the point of the interview...?

If you do use a recruiter, then treat the engagement like buying a car. You need to do your research and ask a lot of questions.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What I hate is when a recruiter writes up a blanket statement then forwards it to anyone with a relevant job title. I knew this was happening when one forgot to update the name after they copied/pasted...
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Recruiter's have done a great job getting me interviewed. Not all are created equally and the constant barrage of emails/calls from some can get annoying. But they will get your resume in front of the manager.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I typically steer clear of recruiters unless I am desperate (which thankfully has only happened once in my career when I was simply just trying to get a job in the IT field).

The only recruiters I deal with are the company staffed recruiters. They typically are much more informed of the positions they are seeking candidates for and you can typically rely on them to already have an established rapport with the hiring manager.

The only other recruiter I will deal with are well... the good ones. There are some out there that are specifically designed with doing specialized placements. I recently worked with a recruiting company to get me in front of a hiring manager run by two CCIEs. They were the recruiters. So I had a rigorous interview with them before they felt confident to place me in front of the hiring manager. Turns I got an offer but it was far too low balled (from the hiring manager). Yet the experience with the staffing agency was great!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My last 6 roles have all been through recruiters... none of those 6 jobs were ever advertised publicly or even listed on the company's website. Too many times ive sat up late at night rewording my resume, filling out applications, etc to never hear back from a company.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My last 6 roles have all been through recruiters... none of those 6 jobs were ever advertised publicly or even listed on the company's website. Too many times ive sat up late at night rewording my resume, filling out applications, etc to never hear back from a company.

When I lived in Miami last year (4yrs total) I noticed that the market was literally controlled by recruiters.

Not so much here in Denver/Boulder now as there are huge ISPs and Data Centers, not to mention large companies like Visa, Intel, VMWare, Seagate, NetApp, LogRhythm, IBM, Oracle, Avaya and Google. Also defense companies like Lockheed Martin and Raytheon.

So around here, its mostly direct, and if not then its internal recruiters from these companies.

All in all, I think it depends on your local market. I sure did hate the recruiters in Florida. Might be different with a CISSP.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I asked because I feel stuck. I'm tired of my current job and feel like it's time to move on to something better. I recently got my Security+, which I thought might help me with my search, but it hasn't really because here in DC a lot of jobs want you to have a clearance. Anyway, I've been told by a recruiter that I make good money where i'm at I should just stay there because they don't think they can find anything else. Another one told me that I should just find another Tech Support position w/ more responsibilities. It just seems whenever I talk to a recruiter they just want to keep me in Tech Support.
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Forget the recruiter. They don't really have your interests in mind, only theirs, which is for them to get you that job so they can get a commission.

I received a job offer at the same time a job offer came in from a recruiter. The recruiter tried to steer me towards hers by telling me about some of the benefits, despite the lower pay. Needless to say, I took the job offer that I received after hunting on my own.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    Well I asked because I feel stuck. I'm tired of my current job and feel like it's time to move on to something better. I recently got my Security+, which I thought might help me with my search, but it hasn't really because here in DC a lot of jobs want you to have a clearance. Anyway, I've been told by a recruiter that I make good money where i'm at I should just stay there because they don't think they can find anything else. Another one told me that I should just find another Tech Support position w/ more responsibilities. It just seems whenever I talk to a recruiter they just want to keep me in Tech Support.

1. DC is dominated by recruiters. Unless you're in a senior position, you'll have to deal with recruiters to find your next job.

2. If you only have Sec+, I don't see you moving out of tech support.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman