Options

Finally got exposure to infrasture

georgiosgeorgios Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I used to be a computer shop technician, a year ago I started to work for an ISP as broadband helpdesk and everyday I just deal with modem, wifi, email and website. I learned a lot but forgot a lot.

Recently I got an internal offer to support our corporate clients who outsource IT support to us. I cant describe how excited I was. Though as a new guy I will get late shift and extra hours but I am still happy.

I always want to go devops. So I'm thinking my next step should be system admin? I could do CCNA if it's a must, or should I start to look at Linux? Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Devops, you'll want to pick up some Linux (if thats what side you want to work on), some automation such as Puppet, a script language such as Python, and a compiled such as C or C++.

You don't need to be or transition to a Sysadmin to eventually move to Devops. You can easily find a Jr devops position as long as you have some familiarity with the above.

But do whatever you can to get off the help desk. Its cool if you like it, but the sooner you move onto something else is one step closer to where you want to be.
  • Options
    jelevated wrote: »
    Devops, you'll want to pick up some Linux (if thats what side you want to work on), some automation such as Puppet, a script language such as Python, and a compiled such as C or C++.

You don't need to be or transition to a Sysadmin to eventually move to Devops. You can easily find a Jr devops position as long as you have some familiarity with the above.

But do whatever you can to get off the help desk. Its cool if you like it, but the sooner you move onto something else is one step closer to where you want to be.

If the helpdesk you are refering is the one I recently got, then probably I cant get out of it very shortly as I haven't started it. I just heard Devops was very hot and high pay, and I was always interested in Linux, but coding is not my strength to be honest. And according to my friend, coding is not majority for Devops.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    georgios wrote: »
    If the helpdesk you are refering is the one I recently got, then probably I cant get out of it very shortly as I haven't started it. I just heard Devops was very hot and high pay, and I was always interested in Linux, but coding is not my strength to be honest. And according to my friend, coding is not majority for Devops.

From Wikipedia.
    DevOps toolchain
    As DevOps is a truly cross-functional mode of working, there is no single "DevOps tool": it is rather a set (or "toolchain") of multiple tools.[13] DevOps tools tend to fit into one or more of these categories, reflective of key aspects of the development and delivery process:[14][15]

Code — code development and review, source code management tools, code merging
    Build — continuous integration tools, build status
    Test — continuous testing tools that provide feedback on business risks
    Package — artifact repository, application pre-deployment staging
    Release — change management, release approvals, release automation
    Configure — infrastructure configuration and management, Infrastructure as Code tools
    Monitor — applications performance monitoring, end–user experience

While there are many tools available, certain categories are essential in a DevOps toolchain; especially containerization (e.g. Docker), continuous integration (e.g. Jenkins), infrastructure as code (e.g. Puppet) and platform virtualization (e.g. Vagrant).[16][17]

So I dont see how you can say that coding is not a majority for Devops when the devops word basically mean development and operations. If you dont know some form of coding, you will just be operations and development usually means develop something via coding or execute certain tasks via coding.
  • Options
    Well, that's just what my friend said, maybe his job is. So I'm wondering what's the difference between Devops and developer?
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Funny, I always thought infrastructure was the network, the Routers ,switches, Patch panels, fiber and cat. 5 that made up the network.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Funny, I always thought infrastructure was the network, the Routers ,switches, Patch panels, fiber and cat. 5 that made up the network.
    My definition includes servers etc. I could be wrong.