Options

Contacting Employer after interview to see if job has been filled

IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

Do you contact an employer after you have completed an interview? And if so how long after.

My situation in short is I had an interview i was told by the hr director that the end of the next week they should know what their next steps would be. A week after my interview about half way through the next week i sent a follow up email thanking them for the interview and asking if there was anything I could provide them with to help in the hiring process. I got an email back quickly and was told i would be hearing from them very soon. Later that day i got a call to set up a second interview.

Finished 2nd interview and was told they should have a descision made by the end of next week.

I waited until the end of the week to follow up. I was told that no decisions have been made yet and that they would keep me in the loop.

Its been 3 weeks since my last email and I am considering emailing them again.

I dont want to be a pest but not knowing is killing me haha. Every posistion i have gotten or not gotten i have heard back in a week or so. Once i never heard back. The company went complety dark. That one was through a recruiter and eventally he was like they are not responding to me so here is the contact info i have why dont you give them a try.

Comments

• Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've tried to stick with the rule of 1's msyelf. followup email at 1 hour, one week, one month. Thank them for their time, ask if anything is stillr equired, etc. Basically, what you've already done, you just have to wait it out for oen more week. :)
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Truthfully, I never do. If a company wants to hire you they will make it known.
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you've already expressed you're seriously interested in the job and they obviously saw something in you to invite you for a second interview. I think you should wait another week or two before reaching back out. Having hired IT personnel over the last 5 years, I have seen situations where I'm waiting for funding, background/reference checks, office space, etc. that potentially may delay me offering position by a few weeks. Good luck!
  • Options
    Repo Man wrote: »

I think its good to reach out.
    Keeps you fresh in the mind of the hiring people. I think especally important for higher up posistions as your going to be meeting really busy people who are hard to get all together.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I think you should move on.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Repo Man wrote: »

This. A company will keep you updated if you are being considered.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    I think you've already expressed you're seriously interested in the job and they obviously saw something in you to invite you for a second interview. I think you should wait another week or two before reaching back out. Having hired IT personnel over the last 5 years, I have seen situations where I'm waiting for funding, background/reference checks, office space, etc. that potentially may delay me offering position by a few weeks. Good luck!

Yeah I'm hoping it is just an issue of people are busy and things are not quite ready to bring someone on right now. Its summer time in Canada so everyone is taking time off.

I am just being impatient.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Wait then and but also still send out more resumes.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep applying at other places. Use your network/friends to see if they know of any open positions. Try to get out of the house, so you don't dwell to much on this position.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of my previous supervisors waited 6 weeks to tell an interviewee he was being offered the position. Seriously?

Anyway, I personally wouldn't reach out a second time. And if I was truly interested (had an interview yesterday) I would let them know as I was walking out that I was interested.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The hiring process in the IT industry is amongst the worse of any other market. Constant tie ups and poor communication, poor on the job training. Too many stories have been posted on this forum to prove other wise.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    The hiring process in the IT industry is amongst the worse of any other market. Constant tie ups and poor communication, poor on the job training. Too many stories have been posted on this forum to prove other wise.

Yeah ive read on here alot about day long interviews and 3 and 4 interviews. Seems common in the US and Brittan.
    Canada in my experience doesnt seem nearly as bad. I've been in IT 15ish years, 5 jobs never had a 2nd interview until now.