Options

OSCP vs LPT Master: Review by Pentester Who Has Done Both

dochooddochood Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've noticed that it is difficult to find any in-depth comparisons between the OSCP and LPT (Master) course/labs/exams. I hold both certifications. Here is a blog post that I wrote up for my company website that gives my impressions of the OSCP vs LPT (Master).

https://www.alpinesecurity.com/resources/blog/2017/7/20/oscp-vs-lpt-master-a-comparison-made-by-a-cybersecurity-professional-with-both-certifications

Comments

• Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dochood wrote: »
    I've noticed that it is difficult to find any in-depth comparisons between the OSCP and LPT (Master) course/labs/exams. I hold both certifications. Here is a blog post that I wrote up for my company website that gives my impressions of the OSCP vs LPT (Master).

https://www.alpinesecurity.com/resources/blog/2017/7/20/oscp-vs-lpt-master-a-comparison-made-by-a-cybersecurity-professional-with-both-certifications

Thanks for sharing. My general impression of EC-Council is not very good. It's partly informed by my experience with C|EH and partly informed by their laughable marketing and goofy, error-prone website (which I have not looked at in years). Your review actually made me feel like I should reevaluate.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITHokie wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. My general impression of EC-Council is not very good. It's partly informed by my experience with C|EH and partly informed by their laughable marketing and goofy, error-prone website (which I have not looked at in years). Your review actually made me feel like I should reevaluate.

If I worked for a company that sells training on EC Council certifications I'd be financially motivated to not mention anything negative about EC Council when reviewing their products. No offense intended towards dochood but consider the source of this review.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A lot of people like to knock EC-Council for the CEH, including myself. BUT I recently started the ECSA/LPT and I must say that it is MUCH better than the lackluster CEH. I have been enjoying it so far, I have a running blog on my experience if anyone is interested in checking it out.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    dochooddochood Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yoba222,

I've noticed a lot of negative reviews of EC Council on this board and others, many of which are from people who are basing their opinions based off what they've heard, or based off EC Council's reputation from a few years back.

EC Council has made great strides in the CEH, ECSA, and LPT (now Master) in the last couple of years. They have added hands-on labs to CEH that walk students through tools and let them experiment with them. ECSA also has hands-on labs, and a hands-on component to the exam. LPT (Master) is all hands-on now.

As should have come out in the review, OSCP is unmatched when it comes to teaching "raw, elite hacking skills". That is pretty much unquestioned. I just thought, having taken both exams, that it is time for someone to give an opinion on this board other than "don't bother with LPT (Master)... just go with OSCP". That isn't the right answer for everyone. Both certs have their strengths and weaknesses, and you should know what each cert gives you before you go into it. It is true that I work for a company that is an EC Council Approved Training Center, and we do teach CEH and ECSA courses. I have met a lot of students in CEH and ECSA who are simply not ready to dive head-first into OSCP.
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    If I worked for a company that sells training on EC Council certifications I'd be financially motivated to not mention anything negative about EC Council when reviewing their products. No offense intended towards dochood but consider the source of this review.

I hear you. But I think the review warrants a look at their hands-on certs. 2 days ago I would have considered even browsing to the site a waste of time.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dochood said:

Not sure if you're still around. What would you say the difference is, if any between the ECSA vs the LPT exams?
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.