Options

Contract ended sooner than expected - how to explain?

ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently had a contract gig end sooner than expected. I think it was due to a misunderstanding when I offered to assist with a major project.

Here are my questions:

Is it worth including, since it does show experience?
If it is, how to explain what happened such that I can have an interview and explain it properly?

I'd be happy to post a redacted resume upon request.

Thanks everybody

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If the job wasn't ended in a bad way, I can't see it being a problem. Especially if it's a contract job.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most contract jobs have additional hours days/weeks/months just in case the customer runs into unforeseen problems. Your contract may ended earlier because your boss thought you had more time on your hands and your original tasks are complete. You should have just kept your head down and not volunteered. Who knows, it may be in your best interest in the long run.

In your interview / resume you can just state that the job was completed earlier than expected. It does happen sometimes. If they find you valuable, they will extend your contract or hire you full time / permanent.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Be honest. If you are from the Washington/Baltimore metro area most interviewers understand the contract life.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool. I'll just mention it and that the contract ended earlier than planned. If asked in an interview about it, I'll just mention that it turned out to be a step backward career-wise that showed me what the next step should really be.

Thanks
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I definitely wouldn't **** on a past job in an interview. Just explain that you completed the contract. And be willing to give them your boss's contact info so they can verify that. Unless your contract was terminated because of poor work, or something like that......