Options

What have I done...

2»

Comments

• Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work near Service Desk people and I always tell them that one day this habit is going to bite them.

I would have said I stubbed my finger or something and it wasn't directed at the person but sounds like it's too late.

Going forward, you can either not list this job on your resume or figure out another reason for the short length of employment. Will your ex boss give you a letter of reference? I would ask, if they will you have that covered and you can just think of a reason why you left. Was going to move but ended up staying, dog ate your homework, etc.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you allowed your anger to get out of control. I would reach out to the lady and apologize for your poor behavior and then move on.
  • Options
    Sounds like you allowed your anger to get out of control. I would reach out to the lady and apologize for your poor behavior and then move on.

That thought also crossed my mind despite the fact he was let go. Might not matter but it's a small world and if you cross paths again it might actually help plus it shows a great deal of maturity.
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're young enough to rebound. Put that experience behind you and move forward.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Blucodex wrote: »
    That thought also crossed my mind despite the fact he was let go. Might not matter but it's a small world and if you cross paths again it might actually help plus it shows a great deal of maturity.

I also think you have to consider this type of work isn't ideal for the OP. Empathy and patience are required and blowing up on the customer who has been directed to call that support center is complete unfair to the employee. That could make them feel terrible inside, especially if they are sensitive.

I would look at more back of the house functions.
  • Options
    I also think you have to consider this type of work isn't ideal for the OP. Empathy and patience are required and blowing up on the customer who has been directed to call that support center is complete unfair to the employee. That could make them feel terrible inside, especially if they are sensitive.

I would look at more back of the house functions.

I think it's fairly common behavior when the phone is down. I work with someone who is probably the most customer friendly person I have ever been around. She is truly skilled and even she has her moments.

I also think people can be extremely rude and demanding of their corporate helpdesk and treat them rather poorly. Pot meet kettle right?
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about it much. You are not doomed. I would still even list the job so you have some experience listed under your belt, just don't tell your next job why you got fired. Most places are only looking for verification of employment and are not going to dig into why you left "x job". Move on and learn from your mistakes.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    You're fine, just remove that entire job from your CV and never mention it to anyone now or in the next 5-10 yrs
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    You're fine, just remove that entire job from your CV and never mention it to anyone now or in the next 5-10 yrs

Changing your name, moving out of state and some good plastic surgery are also good options.

Just kidding. :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    My first IT job was Onsite PC Tech with a small company back around in 2009. 3 issues got me fired.

1. Customer's PC was bought from Europe and has 220v Power Supply. After I have replaced the Power Supply (110v), I took it back to her house. Plugged it in and there goes "boom" and the smoke coming out..lol. I totally forgot to switch that little red swich to 110. I had to buy them a new power supply out of my pocket. $65. and got a Warning from the owner boss.

2. Customer needed to reinstall networking everything, but she couldn't find her install CD for the router. I couldn't get online and download it from the vendor site because there was no internet, but I still had to charge her $100/hr fee even the problem wasn't fixed. I told her I will come back with USB drive but she got mad and said I don't want you guys again.

3. Customer's PC was heavily infected with Virus and Spywares. I couldn't remove about 8 infections that were at serious risk, so I told him to pay $100 to Clean Reinstall OS or $175 for Recovery Reinstall with Files. I also had to charge him $100/hr fee too. He thought the price was outrageous and basically kicked me out of the house without paying a dime. I said I will call the police if he doesn't pay but he called the police first saying I was scamming him.

All of that, only #1 was my fault is what I believed. I was going to leave that job anyway. Such a shitty job I ever had!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    coldbug wrote: »
    My first IT job was Onsite PC Tech with a small company back around in 2009. 3 issues got me fired.

1. Customer's PC was bought from Europe and has 220v Power Supply. After I have replaced the Power Supply (110v), I took it back to her house. Plugged it in and there goes "boom" and the smoke coming out..lol. I totally forgot to switch that little red swich to 110. I had to buy them a new power supply out of my pocket. $65. and got a Warning from the owner boss.

2. Customer needed to reinstall networking everything, but she couldn't find her install CD for the router. I couldn't get online and download it from the vendor site because there was no internet, but I still had to charge her $100/hr fee even the problem wasn't fixed. I told her I will come back with USB drive but she got mad and said I don't want you guys again.

3. Customer's PC was heavily infected with Virus and Spywares. I couldn't remove about 8 infections that were at serious risk, so I told him to pay $100 to Clean Reinstall OS or $175 for Recovery Reinstall with Files. I also had to charge him $100/hr fee too. He thought the price was outrageous and basically kicked me out of the house without paying a dime. I said I will call the police if he doesn't pay but he called the police first saying I was scamming him.

All of that, only #1 was my fault is what I believed. I was going to leave that job anyway. Such a shitty job I ever had!
    Ugh that sucks!!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....