How long do you keep a certification on your resume without using skills?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just curious if you have a set benchmark that you go by when you don't use a skill.

The example that comes to me, is if you have your CCIE or CCNP but have been a Director leading and not performing network duties. How long would you leave that on your resume?

After a while it would look strange if you continued to carry a certification you no longer leveraged.

Comments

• tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have your CCIE or CCNP it means you have renewed the certification. Why would you remove it from your resume if you keep studying and recertifying? The same holds true for any certification that requires renewal... why renew it if you aren't going to list it on your resume.

Certs that don't expire should be taken off your resume if they are no longer being used in the industry. Why would I have MCSE NT 4 and Windows 2000 on my resume when those haven't been used in almost a decade and a half.

I have a Sun Solaris 2.5 and 2.6 network and system admin certs still. I also have some Oracle 7 and 8i DBA certs.
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    As long as it provides value of some sort. In your example, if an IT Director had responsibilities over the network team a company could/should value his past experience in that role. I'm a senior manager in the Service Desk/Desktop world so still list my A+/Microsoft certs so that I can provide proof of past experience as a technician.