Options

GCIH help!

heyyydaveheyyydave Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first sans cert, any tips? I know i should create an index, do the practice test, and go over the material again but are their any tips i.e. training videos like cybrary or something similar to CCCure for cissp?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did you take the class and have the books? That is the only thing you need to pass.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just make sure you pay for your the GIAC attempt within a month of your training. I confirmed it with a Sans instructor, the exam version you get will be the based on the materials you possess, even if they update the course and exam, you'll take the version of it you were trained for.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Read from the many stories of those that have passed.

Do not buy the books form EBAY. There are multiple exams that go with this certification per year.... and you violate the EULA.

I would advise going to a conference, if not then online, or simulcast. You network and learn a great deal more by attending the class in person.
    Attending the class, listening to the MP3's and doing a great deal of practice will give you success.

Everything is in the book. Create your own index because you are the only one who knows how you learn the material.
    If you read my index, it may drive you bat cr@p crazy and curse my name during the exam. The practice tests help you with your index.

You have ~ 1.5 minutes to answer each question so even though this is open book, you need to know the material well enough not to look up the answer to every question.

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    heyyydaveheyyydave Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all, yeah ive done the course already OnDemand, my work paid for it so i didnt have a choice on how to take the course. I got to schedule the exam still i was thinking giving myself 3 months. (i did cissp in 2 month) is this enough time?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    heyyydave wrote: »
    I got to schedule the exam still i was thinking giving myself 3 months. (i did cissp in 2 month) is this enough time?

It's an open book exam and all the questions are from the materials in the books you have. I'd lean towards yes.
  • Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend tabbing out the books for sure, just for quicker reference during the exam. Time management is super important on the exams, so the little bit saved by having tabs to key areas (netcat, nmap, etc) can take a lot of pressure off. Also, I would make sure to either build out a smaller, separate index of the tools and their switches for quick reference, or at least have them on hand to reference.

Small recommendations, but I just passed my GCIH last week with a 93, so I'm confident in them.