Options

Jobs... Please read

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello.

Just a quick question for those people out there with lots of certifications.

I am currently CompTIA A+ and Network+ certified. I have been working with computer since I got my very first Windows 95 machine in late 1996 and we got ripped off for a small upgrade, anyway!

I am now 21 and I have lived in the States for 2 years (from here from England) I passed the A+ and Net+ very easily because i've been working on them for a while.

I am currently working as a Field Technician. I hate traveling to people's houses and charging them a lot for something I can do in 10 minutes.

I would like a job with this type of description:

An OFFICE!!!
General network duties.

Basically an I.T Manager.

I know there has to be at least 1 I.T Manager on this site. So if you could help me out with a few things....

...What certifications are REALLY recognized by employeers? I am going to start studying for my MCP (70-270).

After that I MIGHT go for my CCNA (COULD SOMEONE PLEASE RECOMMEND ME STUDY MATERIAL)

I am also thinking about going for Server+ Security+ and Linux+ (I don't have any experience with Linux... Does anyone have any Linux versions to recommend using prior to the exam) Novell 6.5 Admin exam.

I know that a lot of employeers are looking for security professionals now... but, do I have to pass the Security+ exam to become a professional or do I need to do more exams.

If you've made it this far with reading, I will give you a high-five. I feel like I'm rambling on like a drunk in a pub.

I am also looking into getting the CEH, but that won't be until the end of this year.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Jamie
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Please take no offense to this, it's merely an observation and experience ;)

First, congratulations on having a couple certifications!

What will likley be more of a benefit is to have a degree in Computer Science or Computer Administration. Something with a bit more clout.

If you are looking for a job without travel, then you may be limiting yourself (initally) to helpdesk type support. This may be ok with you, and it takes very talented people to be able to do this work.

Landing a job as a Network Admin or Network Engineer at 21 isn't unheard of but it isn't that common. The larger companies I know of in the Midwest and places where I have collegues work, typically promote from within their company and generally appreciate those who CAN handle helpdesk type support (with a smile) and reward those people with location work as they prove their competence on the phones.

You may find a small to mid-sized company willing to hire an IT -type person for inhouse work, but this person is usually the person we work with to handle simple more tedious things like workstation updates, printer/copier paper jams, load company software, create a user profile, replace a mouse, replace a monitor, relocate a PC etc... Things the company doesn't really want to pay us to do once or twice a week. It can be somewhat limiting.

There is a chance that a small/mid sized company will take a chance on a single person to phase out contracted work, but as soon as that company starts looking at their budget again, they realize that it really does cost less to contract the work out rather then pay all the employee benefits as well as have the risk of an employee. Then it cycles back to them wanting staff. :)

To make yourself more marketable, do continue on your certification path into Cisco and Security. I would also look at a college (university) degree while you are at it.

It can be tiring driving to various places each day and never really knowing what your day will bring, but you are able to see WAY MORE out in the field then you will ever see in one company. You also (at your age) have the benefit of seeing a variety of different employers as well as how people act/work together within those different companies....you can silently observe and in a way interview them or other possible companies to find something you feel is most suitable to your personality.

I am not suggesting your solicit your services to one of your companies clients to try to have them hire you! However, I do think it is prudent to observe the work environmetns to see the way different companies work. When you send resumes out and begin interviewing (at non-client companies) you can ask questions based on what you really want to do. Make sense?

So, experience and education as well as your personality will help you find what you really want. It may take a few more years to get there, but you will be much more prepared and hopefully not find yourself stuck in a dead-end position.

NOW after all this, I recall you mentioned working in people's homes.... icon_redface.gif Same thing applies. You may find that people networking is very handy. Never really know who others know. And regarding price/fees for service, keep in mind that things that are easy to you have come at a cost. Either someone trained you or your took the time to research and learn it on your own. The more efficient you become doesn't make your service less valuable, instead it makes you more valuable and productive!

If you have concerns that your clients feel ripped off because what you did was 'easy', then consider educating them on some other computer-type stuff. Safe surfing habits, backup solutions, parent controls, malware, etc... This does two things: first, you show them you are concerned about their PC and wish to keep it in good running order. Second, you may just uncover a problem, and create an opportunity for you to generate a little more revenue as well as saving them from a more costly repair down the road.

Hang in there!

BTW - if you happen to 'look' young (some people have a very young look abou them i.e a 28 year old who looks like a teenager), take care to dress a little older then you are. This you may find adds to your credibility and it could help you find a better position down the road.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?