Options

Another pass is pass for Security+

hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Last Friday I passed Security+ at first attempt, result was poor 790 (750 is pass) ... but pass is pass icon_cheers.gif

I had a extended time as I am not native English speaker.
I just got two easy performance based questions, one was firewall configuration, second different authentication types.
Most questions were hard and had a lot of doubts getting one correct answer and to be sure about my choice. I used all my time I got.

I was preparing 3 months but slowly without rush while working and other everyday life stuff:)

Materials I used from most used to least used:

1. Darril Gibson ebook - I read it once then after I was using it as a reference while doing tests. Very good material to learn from.
2. https://gcgapremium.com/ - tons of test questions that will prepare and other goodies (it actually from the same author as ebook)
3. CertMaster - didn't use it much, had a bad experience from this after passing Linux+
4. Mobile App (iOS) CompTia Security+ Sy0-401 Exam Prep by LearnZapp - good set of test practice questions and flashcards on all topics covered in this app, use it a lot while not close to computer.
5. Professor Messer videos on YouTube - good material watched some hardest topics for me, but didn't watch all of them.
6. ExamCompass | CompTIA Certification Practice Exams - good set of practice tests
7. gtslearning's online learning and course support site - I got curse from them but after I got all what I needed from Daril ebook and his premium content I didn't use it much.
8. This forum test, and I was reading posts similar to this, this actually helped me to decide about what materials to buyicon_study.gif

What next?
Thinking about CEH, as I am not sure I am confident enough for OSCP. I would like to be more a defender type (blue team) I would love to work remotely as now. Any ideas about next cert appreciated.

Next year I try to get a job in IT security, but its hard to switch from my current job type (.net programmer - implementations engineer) especially where I live to get similar salary as there is not much this types of job offers (especially remote)

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    Gemini365iGemini365i Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    YaY! Congratulations to you.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job my man!, learning never stops.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First of all...Congrats!! 790 is not a bad score at all.

Second...The CEH will not prepare you for OSCP...at all. It's more of an analyst cert and doesn't have much respect in the Security field. If you want to go down the pentesting path, I would suggest eJPT first, because it's got a lot of great educational value and it's affordable.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! CEH looks good on a resume but won't teach you a ton of practical skills. OSCP will teach you a ton of practical skills but is pretty hard and isn't on nearly as many jobs posts. If you wanna do pentesting, eJPT is definitely a good first step for practical knowledge and skills. eLearnSecurity certs in general though aren't very known but you will learn a lot. Also for blue team the CND by EC-Council looks like it teaches a lot. I think the CCNA Cyber Ops could be a good route to go also. It's not super known yet but it does have the CCNA so I think that could help a lot.
  • Options
    hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all answers and recommendations.

Generally I would want to get recognizable and valuable CERT that will allow me switch to IT security jobs, or at least lay down solid foundations for OSCP...

I found recently Mile2 certifications: C)PEH ; C)PTE are they any good and valuable?

Regarding eJPT that I think could be another step on the road to OSCP, downside of it I don't think it is recognizable outside of this forums ;)