Options

Getting Another B.S.

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I currently have a B.S. in Computer Science, but I'm trying to work towards eventually getting into Cybersecurity. I know that the next step would be to get a Masters, but for a program like WGU I could probably knockout the B.S. in Cybersecurity in a few months that you can take as many classes as you want. Do you think that's a bad idea?

Comments

• Options
    Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why wouldn't you just go for the Master's in Cybersecurity instead of doing another Bachelor's? I would go straight for the Master's. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea per se, but I don't think you should feel obligated to get another bachelors especially if you are considering getting the Masters degree in Cybersecurity at some point. Your background in CompSci should help you. Besides you would be spending a lot of money no?
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I tried the same thing. It's not worth it, go for Masters.
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in that program now and I already have a bachelor's, but mine is not in IT or CS. Go for the masters and get IT experience, don't waste your time. My employer is covering most of mine which is why I am getting the second BS.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CS from where?

That's like getting the CISSP then getting Security +.....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As stated above, second BS makes zero sense.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with the few above me, you almost never need a 2nd BS, you have one in CS, you're golden. You really don't even need the MS but if you want it then that's fine too. Certs would be helpful. With some work experience and a CS degree you could probably just self study and transition into infosec anyway.

What is your work experience like now, and what do you want to do in security?
  • Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Agree with the few above me, you almost never need a 2nd BS, you have one in CS, you're golden. You really don't even need the MS but if you want it then that's fine too. Certs would be helpful. With some work experience and a CS degree you could probably just self study and transition into infosec anyway.

What is your work experience like now, and what do you want to do in security?

lol i don't feel golden.

i currently just do tech support. i think being an analyst is a good start/interest for me.