Options

Advice for what Next postion after Helpdesk?

Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning Tech Fam,

I need some advice about future job roles. I spoke with my IT director and he asked what next job role I would like to go for. Right now I've been in the helpdesk role for 2 years but I have been going for certs while in this position. Before the year ends I will have the following certs. A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+, and MCITP windows 7. I will be receiving certs as a part of WGU's curriculum. I need some career advice!

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good morning Tech Fam,

I need some advice about future job roles. I spoke with my IT director and he asked what next job role I would like to go for. Right now I've been in the helpdesk role for 2 years but I have been going for certs while in this position. Before the year ends I will have the following certs. A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+, and MCITP windows 7. I will be receiving certs as a part of WGU's curriculum. I need some career advice!

Thanks,

You're at the point now where you can decide which path you want to take. Networking, Desktop, Infrastructure, Security, Linux Admin, etc.... Where do your interest lie? You're already at the tail end of the boring part of breaking into a career in IT so now is the time to decided which direction you want to head.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Remember that CompTIA has a reputation of being more of an entry level cert. It would benefit you more if you get CCNA, MCSA etc
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Remember that CompTIA has a reputation of being more of an entry level cert. It would benefit you more if you get CCNA, MCSA etc

I will be receiving the MCSA 2012 Server certification soon!
  • Options
    labscloud wrote: »
    You're at the point now where you can decide which path you want to take. Networking, Desktop, Infrastructure, Security, Linux Admin, etc.... Where do your interest lie? You're already at the tail end of the boring part of breaking into a career in IT so now is the time to decided which direction you want to head.

I get confused with the different routes I can take. What's the difference between networking and Infrastructure? I will be receiving the MCSA server 2012 Certification. I know that's a server certification but is that networking or infrastructure?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I will be receiving the MCSA 2012 Server certification soon!

That should be helpful.
  • Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get confused with the different routes I can take. What's the difference between networking and Infrastructure? I will be receiving the MCSA server 2012 Certification. I know that's a server certification but is that networking or infrastructure?

Networking is a part of the overall infrastructure of IT in a business, but most people refer to infrastructure meaning servers, server racks, desktop pc's, printers, virtual machines, sccm, patching, databases, etc... Infrastructure encompasses different areas from place-to-place. Networking specific roles handle devices on the network. You could get Cisco certified and manage and implement routers/switches and be a valuable asset to your team with those skills. You could also get a NOC job where your doing changes to a remote network.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good morning Tech Fam,

Thanks,

I would ask him,, what are the job roles or paths that are currently available? This might help make your decision easier.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would ask him,, what are the job roles or paths that are currently available? This might help make your decision easier.

If you wanted someone else to choose what you want to do for a living I guess that is an option.

To the OP, you are going to college... getting a bunch of certs... What is your reason you are pursuing these? Guessing it just isn't to be better at help desk.

Personally I think you should've had this thought through before you even started college. Kinda putting the cart before the horse here. This is probably why a lot of people don't know what to do with their degrees when they get out of college and complain about lack of job opportunities. Not saying you are btw, it is good thing you are at least thinking about it way before you graduate. No one is going be able to tell you what area of IT you should go into or what you should do for a living. If you like a particular area of IT there are a lot of smart people on this forum that can give you some suggestions and advice on how to help you get to where you want to go though. icon_thumright.gif