Options

UW C# Programming Certificate

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I'm thinking about doing the C# Programming Certificate program at UW:

https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/c-sharp-programming

I always felt that programming was a big weak spot for me. What do you all think of this sort of program?
Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Just my opinion, but unless you're wanting to develop Win apps, I'd look at a different language. Looks like you've got quite a few security certs. Python would be a great choice. Maybe even C if you want to get into the malware arena.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but unless you're wanting to develop Win apps, I'd look at a different language. Looks like you've got quite a few security certs. Python would be a great choice. Maybe even C if you want to get into the malware arena.

I get what you're saying. What I'm seeing in the industry is this transition into DevOps with Security becoming "DevSecOps." I'm really interested in learning Python and getting better at PowerShell but I was thinking if I was able to have a good programming foundation, then I would add more value to the DevOps model and make myself more future proof.

I don't want to be a programmer and I don't want to be writing scripts my entire career either. I want to be able to integrate security into the future of what IT becomes.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it's goofy to be honest. In the developers guild, development certs are looked down on. I would just download a version of visual studio and just start coding.

No need for a certification......
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is something to be said about the structure you get with a class but you can learn a lot by just digging in too. Learning your first language is the hardest. Once you learn the first one, figuring out which things are related becomes easier. I learned php way back and it helped me pick up new languages way faster than starting out from scratch. I still suck at all of them but once you learn basics, you don't have to re-learn them.

For learning python https://learnpythonthehardway.org/
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before you start that cert program, try Code Academy for free to see if programming is your thing. https://www.codecademy.com/