Options

Need Advice for WGU

MrDrewMrDrew Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking at enrolling at WGU at the end of this year. I currently have my A+ and should have my Net+ before the end of September. I am currently stuck with which direction to go for the degree at WGU. Long term I am interested in security and pen testing so I figured the BS in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance would be the best bet. The issue I am having is that I am trying to get a job anywhere in IT. Would it benefit me more to pursue the Dev degree at WGU for a job now and continue getting my networking and security certs along the way or just stick with the CIA degree with other Networking and security certs woven in and doing dev work along the way? Side note, I already have multiple bachelor's degrees finished so the degrees at WGU would be almost entirely focused on the core subject matter.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would suggest to get your foot in the door to look into internships or volunteering at a non-profit, church, school, etc. Another route is to consider acquiring a help desk job or a NOC environment to help you get started and be able to put some experience on your resume. This will help as you finish your degree but since you already have a Bachelor's degree you might also consider doing certs instead such as CEH, CHFI for cyber/network security.

Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63