Options

Passed CISSP

Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
Going into this exam i already had my CASP and would say it did help since there's some overlap , i studied 4 months for this exam, and passed on first try. spent a full month on 3 weakest domains. overall the exam wasn't as intimidating as i thought it would be, fairly straightforward test that took me 4 hours to do, reminded me of taking my CEH only longer you either know the terminology or concept or you don't.

how i prepared
Official CISSP ISC2 book
Cybrary.IT
BOSON exam simulator

quizlet - this helped me take notes and the website makes test questions off your notes. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

avoid
SKILLSET (AT ALL COST NOT WORTH IT for CISSP) skillset is good for Security+/CEH type exams

Overall thought CASP was ALOT harder then CISSP. additional advice don't get to technical into your studying

Comments

• Options
    redsteelredsteel Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So excited to hear about someone passing this! I've been studying off and on for a few months now. I've watched the Cybrary videos and the CBTNuggets videos I paid for. I'm reading through the official Sybex manual now. I only get about 30min to an hour a day, but I'm trudging along. It feels like I'm running a marathon. One that I may finish and they tell me 'YOU LOSE!'

I'm a lone IT person and haven't had anybody to talk to about what I'm doing or going through mentally. Also, I don't even know anybody with this cert and I have no idea what kind of opportunities this may open for me though I live in a big city so I'm sure there will be some. I do feel pretty good about the content and I have a Business Management degree so I feel I can answer questions from the manager perspective as well as the technical (been in IT helpdesk 10+ years). I have no certs and attempted the MCSA to MCSE cert path for Office365, but I couldn't even score a 50% on the practice exams even though I have migrated well over a thousand people on the Enterprise level. This kind of crushed me. I decided to take a look at Security and I feel that my knowledge is "an inch deep and a mile wide."

I feel probably more confident than I should about the material. I know most probably fail it the first time, so I am trying to avoid that since it runs $600 with no retakes. I don't want to walk in confident and then be humbled by failing it. I don't know if I could retake it a second time. I hate that they don't actually tell you what your score is.

Great job passing! You will have to let us all know what opportunities it opens up for you!!
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    redsteel wrote: »
    So excited to hear about someone passing this! I've been studying off and on for a few months now. I've watched the Cybrary videos and the CBTNuggets videos I paid for. I'm reading through the official Sybex manual now. I only get about 30min to an hour a day, but I'm trudging along. It feels like I'm running a marathon. One that I may finish and they tell me 'YOU LOSE!'

I'm a lone IT person and haven't had anybody to talk to about what I'm doing or going through mentally. Also, I don't even know anybody with this cert and I have no idea what kind of opportunities this may open for me though I live in a big city so I'm sure there will be some. I do feel pretty good about the content and I have a Business Management degree so I feel I can answer questions from the manager perspective as well as the technical (been in IT helpdesk 10+ years). I have no certs and attempted the MCSA to MCSE cert path for Office365, but I couldn't even score a 50% on the practice exams even though I have migrated well over a thousand people on the Enterprise level. This kind of crushed me. I decided to take a look at Security and I feel that my knowledge is "an inch deep and a mile wide."

I feel probably more confident than I should about the material. I know most probably fail it the first time, so I am trying to avoid that since it runs $600 with no retakes. I don't want to walk in confident and then be humbled by failing it. I don't know if I could retake it a second time. I hate that they don't actually tell you what your score is.

Great job passing! You will have to let us all know what opportunities it opens up for you!!

If your A security proffessional you will always have opportunities available to you..it may not be what you want intially but you can always use it as a pivot point to get something better. Yes the exam is an mile wide an an inch deep, again Think from ao managers perspective and don't fix anything so for example if you see a question and an answer like the following "You should close port 443 to stop propagation of the worm" cross out that answer as potential

I honestly felt this was similar to a CEH exam only much longer, as long as you know your key terminology and take good notes and reiterate that information to yourself over a long period of time you will do fine...prior to taking it i was going to punk out and extend it another 2 months (not by choice everythign is filled out that far) but my coworker told me to stop being a lil b1tch and called me out so i took it, glad i did

look this is a good benchmark buy the Boson Simulator or Transcender, simulate the 250 questions and see what you suck at, then focus on those domains. I would focus on the heavier weighted domains then work your way down

hope his helps

Thank you everyone else, Next goal is OSCP but i'll be slow studying for that i want to enjoy life...
  • Options
    redsteelredsteel Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    . . .

look this is a good benchmark buy the Boson Simulator or Transcender, simulate the 250 questions and see what you suck at, then focus on those domains. I would focus on the heavier weighted domains then work your way down

hope his helps

Thank you everyone else, Next goal is OSCP but i'll be slow studying for that i want to enjoy life...
    Thank you so much for those tips. I'm anxious and excited all at the same time. Like I said, I don't know anyone so it feels like I'm running a marathon by myself sometimes. It's great to hear people are working hard and passing this. Gives me hope. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    redsteel wrote: »
    Thank you so much for those tips. I'm anxious and excited all at the same time. Like I said, I don't know anyone so it feels like I'm running a marathon by myself sometimes. It's great to hear people are working hard and passing this. Gives me hope. Keep up the good work.

Thanks I tend to go to the extreme to accomplish my goals i pretty much studied all day after work and all weekend (1 a month i maybe went out), i sacraficed going to gym, DJing, and proper meal dieting to get this lol. I'm good when i just focus at one thing at time..kudos to those with familes and kids much respect