Options

HR booked me multiple interviews!!!

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
I had applied for a single Security Analyst position at DELL. To my pleasant surprise the HR manager booked me additional interviews for additional positions with additional managers. woww !!!

So my question is....is this a good sign, or just the normal practice by some companies. My credentials for Security Analyst were not even all that great. See below:

- 10 years general IT experience.
- 2 years experience in NOC doing vulnerability scans, security analyst work.
- Completed Security+ course work (have not certified yet)

- Bachelor's in Information Systems
- CCNA, CCNP certifications.

So, I actually wonder why the managers who mind you each have 10+ years in Information Security are interested. One of the positions is even for a Security Consultant and has "10 years experience in security" listed in the position requirements.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That is a VERY good sign. Good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TibsTibs Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Overall that is a good sign. Not only does this mean your resume was actually read, but that the people reading it identified there may be other roles you are suited for in addition to the one you applied for. Interview for all the ones they wanted to sign you up for, see which one fits you (and them) best, make an informed decision between which offers you get if you get more than one.

I will be starting a new job at Dell next week, it starts under a 6 month contract but the team managers that interviewed me and will be taking me under their wing made it very clear they are expecting a temp-to-hire and not someone who will be gone after 6 months. My interview was in the Cafeteria at Building: Round Rock 5 (they accidentally double-booked the meeting room). In the interview they emphasized that Dell has plenty of opportunity to move laterally; plenty of people and resources you can learn from (and cross-train through) in order to network and gain skills to move into other departments if that is your end goal. Considering I am still at a low entry-level point in IT, this plays to my personality of being curious of other work going on around me and within the company.

Out of the multiple positions you will interview for, if the position you are offered is not exactly what you are looking for then knowing this introduces other opportunities.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    egrizzly wrote: »

What does that even mean? :p It's a pretty entry level test and just find that funny you would even mention it. Would think the test would be pretty simple for someone with your background.

Sounds like you would be a shoe in for the Security Analyst position given your credentials. Could be why they thought you might even be a good for the Consultant position. Best of luck!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Basically when you apply, if you might fit other positions then HR will have other hiring managers take a look...this is a good sign.

It's hard to say on positions where it doesn't seem directly related...there could be a lot of training budget, some managers favor certain experience because it translates well like system admin and system security.

Also for a consultant type position, responsibilities are generally pretty broad so they probably like your diverse and more general experiences.
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    I had applied for a single Security Analyst position at DELL. To my pleasant surprise the HR manager booked me additional interviews for additional positions with additional managers. woww !!!

So my question is....is this a good sign, or just the normal practice by some companies. My credentials for Security Analyst were not even all that great. See below:

- 10 years general IT experience.
    - 2 years experience in NOC doing vulnerability scans, security analyst work.

- Bachelor's in Information Systems
    - CCNA, CCNP certifications.

So, I actually wonder why the managers who mind you each have 10+ years in Information Security are interested. One of the positions is even for a Security Consultant and has "10 years experience in security" listed in the position requirements.

I personally dislike the big organizational method of interviews. I would say that it is a false sign of satisfaction. Although I do wish you luck and hope you get it.

I interviewed with Verizon and another big company like AOL or something in Northern Virginia. Some company I thought no longer existed but had this huge corporate building with scooters and other employee friendly incentives. I hate the multiple interview approach because at any point, during any one of those interviews you can be disqualified/not selected. I would rather have one interview than to have a few. Let me know now if I got the interview. Not I pass one interview, then have another, then have another, but the last interviewer didn't select me so I won't move on to the next.

It is a good approach. It is a good approach because you have different organizational departments involved in the hiring process. Not just one person. So, I do see pros and cons. If it was me, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Come to think of it..the interview I had with Verizon was an interview and a test afterwards.
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It ended up being good news!! I got an offer from multiple positions as well without even going being setup for a second phone interview. hmmm, hopefully there are no hitches in the background check icon_smile.gif
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It ended up being good news!! I got an offer from multiple positions as well without even going being setup for a second phone interview. hmmm, hopefully there are no hitches in the background check icon_smile.gif
    congrats! where are you located? are they building up a soc or something in that location?

Where are you located and what position are you taking?

Hopefully you come up clear since you haven't murdered anyone in the last 7 year.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    congrats dude!
    this has been a long ways coming.

I remember Just 12 months ago... you were in a completely different mindset.

Sounds like you became the change that you were looking for :]