Options

How do you guys study..do you make pages of notes?

MeekMeek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I really feel at a big disadvantage, I cant sit and take notes from a book,I endup writing out the entire book. If theres a huge chunk of text where all info is important I just wouldnt know how you could list it as bullet points. Can you guys give me some tips or share how you study best.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have a look at this thread

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/128175-notetaking.html

What's the most effective way you find of taking notes?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    icebearicebear Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also tend to make too many notes (and I don't always get back to them) but I believe it helps to memorize things better. Just try not to put everything down word by word and paraphrase ideas
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I take books of notes. Usually from practice exams; when I get a question wrong, I write out the question, the correct answer, and explanation (if any is provided), and even questions I made a lucky guess, I write it out. Anecdotally It helps me remember the material. As the test date draws closer, I write it out twice.

My colleagues joke I should put my notebooks up on eBay that helped me pass the CISSP exam my first time lol.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It varies per exam. I haven't taken any notes for my GIAC and CISM studies.

While studying for Cisco exams, I would read a chapter and watch the corresponding CBT nugget. I would take notes on things the video mentioned that I did not see in the book.

I began taking notes for the CISSP after failing twice. I used multiple resources to study so I took notes to highlight the similarities and differences between the multiple authors.

For C|EH I took notes on things I read about on the internet that were not covered in the book (recent major vulnerabilities/threats) plus topics I saw on the Boson practice exams that also were not covered in the Matt Walker material.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I typically make reams of notes from the course/book, then make a shorter set of notes from that. I'll then redo anything that seems ultra-important (think OSI model when studying networking, etc.) 15-20 times to make sure it's carved into my brain.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe it's my age but I usually only review things that tie back to what I already know, at least 50% cross over. I very rarely find myself studying brand new concepts, sometimes tools but the premise aligns with a lot of what I know already.

Since nothing is too foreign I can remember most what I read and I take my time.
  • Options
    Clifton125Clifton125 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have a look at this thread

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/128175-notetaking.html

What's the most effective way you find of taking notes?
    Great.I appreciate it.