Options

IT career advice

masoudkhan91masoudkhan91 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I live in northern Virginia and almost all the IT jobs require some sort of clearance which might be close to impossible for me to get.
I'm actually starting out new in the IT field but I'm pretty familiar with computers. I've had no luck landing any entry level or help desk job. Right now I work for postmates but I have alot of time under my hand. I've been told by some to just "read" and learn, some say take coursera or lynda courses online, finish my degree (associates) 2 classes left for general studies, some say take comptia certs and some say skip.
Anyway to be honest I don't really know what I like or what I want to do. Cyber security, software testing, cloud, Web development, networking or anything that would be fairly easy or quick to learn and will easily land me a job in the future so I wouldn't waste any time. I just need a path to focus on, right now my brain is scrambled after reading literally 100's of posts and threads. My cousins are all IT professionals making 100k plus a year, but every time I ask for advice they think i'm stupid or dumb, and they give one sentence advice like you can do it.
What do you guys think about boot camps? There's also this at my local community college NOVA | Cybersecurity I dont know if it would be worth pursuing.
I apologize for the long post and appreciate your time for helping others in their career paths.

Comments

• Options
    redsteelredsteel Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm new around here, but not at life so I'll chime in.
    1) Forget about making 100k. Money will not make you happy. Just ask Justin Beiber, Jim Carey, or practically every other Hollywood celeb. You need to focus on what you like to do. Extra points if ultimately, you are helping other people. You'll feel alot better about that last part too.
    2) You have a knack for computers but no real experience. You need to start exposing yourself. You are on the right track about finding expertise but that probably needs to come later if you don't already have a disposition to something. The best way it by becoming a helpdesk tech. You will get exposed to tons of stuff. If you can land an entry job at an MSP, you will literally be drinking from a firehose. Now, to get hired, you need to talk somebody and find out what it takes. Talk to a few of them and find out what you need to do to get there. If it is just a CompTIA cert then do it. If they will take you in for less pay while you learn, do it.
    3) Bootcamps suck. Your mental ability to process 8-12 hours of new, raw data for a week on end is pretty much non-existent unless you are some freak of nature with a photographic memory and super-cognitive abilities. Plus, they cost an arm and a leg and there is too much awesome free stuff out there if you just look.

So to recap, I would: Find a general role like HelpDesk Level 1 (extra points at an MSP) and TALK (face-to-face or a phone call to the hiring manager/owner)to someone (not email, text) about how to land an entry job. You can also talk with someone from a company like RobertHalf to help you find a place to fit in, but they will probably want you to have something basic completed. It will be important to stay at least 2 years for job commitment AND proper exposure to different technologies. Then you can look at moving up or beginning to specialize.

Lastly, patience is a virtue. Know that it will take you a lifetime to get where you are going. Try not to get discouraged about so and so and all the money they make and the certifications and degrees you don't have. Focus on being happy with what you have but constantly improving yourself.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your in Northern VA you can get a clearance... its NOT impossible. check out Govt contractors. they will hire you and pay for your clearance... You just have to work there a year.
    Start with your basic certs.... A+, Net+, Sec+
    That will give you a "Jack of all trades" foundation to build on... Picture your IT career as like your building a house... you can't build a house without having a foundation.
    Do some research on the job market... see what experience they need and study that... learn soft skills... Microsoft, Apple, andriod, IOS, general troubleshooting skills, and writing reports.... you will need those now and in the future.
    Get on Meetup and go to local groups and meet with people in the field... learn from them...
    Youtube what you don't know... browse the forums here and other places... and google is your best friend.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    One thing is to stop looking at your cousins. Why are they discussing salary anyway, it is a private matter. Sometimes, it is just the luck of the draw of where you work or if a company wants to bring you on and go through the process of getting a clearance. Keep on plugging along on reading and learning. You don't say how old you are (I am assuming you are a young fellow). Don't think that everything is going to fall in your lap. It won't.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....