Options

Learning Linux is more fun then Cisco

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am currently studying for my Comptia Linux Plus certification. I got my CCENT last year and decided to take a break because I was Cisco brain fried. Since I started on this path I see my-self improving in Linux far more then I did with cisco. I am currently enrolled with the Linux Academy and I am having fun. I plan to take the test in September.

Have any of you been in the same situation, where you were studying one track then did something different and getting more out fo it ? I'de love to hear your stories.

mgmguy1
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networking is a core skill so it may seem a little dry due to that. It's an important skill in that it makes everything else click. Is anything from your CCENT coming up in your Linux studies? Would you be enjoying it as much if you had that knowledge gap? Linux + Networking skills are a match made in heaven icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm very much a pro-Linux person, but I find studying Linux or Cisco to be equally boring. These weeks I'm studying Linux and Python on alternating days. The Linux days can be a bit of a drag but for some reason the Python days are more enjoyable. Maybe I just haven't found a fun Linux book yet.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Perhaps it's the training? Years ago I took my CISCO stuff with Jeremy Cioara from CBT Nuggets. Jeremy has a way of making the very dry world of CISCO exciting. The CCENT is a great deal of theory and CISCO gets more interesting in the higher certs. I'm so out of the loop I'm not sure what they offer anymore.

Linux is always fun icon_wink.gif. Now, I like girls more than I like Linux, j/s
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Chinook, I used CBT nuggets to help me pass my CCENT. He is a pretty cool instructor and his videos did a great job in prepping me for my CCENT. But one of the things I have noticed is there is more of a "community" in Linux then in Cisco. As an Example, There is a website called Meetup.com. ( There are others) and I see a-lot of people starting Raspberry Pie/Linux meetups or Python/codeing meetup's You never see one that says Cisco or Networking. It's easier to get excited about learning a new subject if you have like minded people around you who are willing to listen and perhaps help out in your adventure in person.

Oh btw, I like Cisco/Networking and I am falling in love with Linux and I know I am going to have to learn to code here at some point. But I like my wife more then either of the subjects. Been with her for 6 years and married for 5.

:)
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino