Options

Machine keeps shutting down

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
It's HP Elite Desktop. How can I know if it is overheating? I can't feel anyheat and it seems fine. It randomly shuts down.

Thanks.
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you checked the System Event log to see if anything particular is triggering? Does it happen when you are logged in or not? Does it happen in Safe Mode?
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's some freeware that will monitor the temp, but I would recommend looking at the even logs as well. You can also try putting a big fan next to it and if it stays on, then you can be certain it's a heating issue.

I'd also recommend seeing if there are any updates to the BIOS as I've seen that happen quite a bit.

If none of the above gets you anywhere, I'd try swapping out hardware.
  • Options
    Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you doing anything specific when it shuts down (gaming, heavy usage?) if just turned and left to idle does it shut down.
    Has anything changed? When u noticed this happening was it after any updates, or new software installs?any new hardware devices mice keyboards webcams that require drivers?

Check the fan is actually spinning , make sure its not clogged with dust.

Disconnect everything ,usb sticks,mice, keyboards, cds in drive,cams,monitor turn on, If it stays running Add one item back at a time to find culprit. If it still stays on report back.

Lots of possibilities thats what i'd check first.
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    It's connected to the mobile cart for nurses. The cart has Lithium iron battery and it is charging fine. Checked the fuse on the cart and it is fine. Event log is fine. Can't place the fan since it is at work lol. Disconnected everything USB stuffs and reconnected. BIOS is updated.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can generally check in the BIOS for the system temperature information. In saying that though random hard shutdown in my books have always been due to faulty/bad power supplies.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've seen the heat sinks on desktop CPUs go bad. The fan stopped working, so the CPU would overheat and shut the computer down.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Mcafee! LOL (I am half joking..)
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably bad hardware. I'd look through the Windows Event Logs (if you can decipher them) to try & find a possible cause. Also, are you sure they are truly random shutdowns? (or is that just what the user says.) Is there any way you can find out if there is anything in common for all the shutdowns, that would give you a valuable clue. Try running a hardware diagnostic program (sorry, it's been a while so I didn't research it) to see if it indicates something out-of-the-ordinary.
  • Options
    Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    always start at the obvious/most simple fix

when exactly does the PC shut down ? are you using it while it does it?what are you doing when it shuts down? how long has it been happening? did anything change since it was working til now?

There are a lot of things it could be without info from you its all guesses cos "randomly shuts down " could be one of many things. Checking logs would be next logical step and then trying to decipher windows codes on google. Try run in Safe mode.
    Check was anything installed lately.

could be RAM PSU driver virus gremlin:D
    take RAM out add back one at a time trying each slot on mobo with each individual stick (check system how much RAM isin there and how much is windows showing and bios) ive seen dodgy RAM behave like this.
    multimetre test PSU or try borrow one same specs to test in your PC.

also make sure its not going into hibernate/sleep mode .......
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Could boot into BIOS or a Linux live CD and leave it for a few hours. With a live CD you can put a load on the system by doing something like $ cat /dev/zero > /dev/null . That way you can rule out OS if it shuts down.

My first suspicion is either bad/dying fan or power supply dying.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suspect since it's a rolling cart that you have a bad solder or loose cable. Does the cart roll over bumps and is that when it shuts off?