Options

I'm 47 - Need Help - Need Advice On Best Certification Route Please!

RadioheadcaseRadioheadcase Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
History: Hello! I am 47 years old, and have been a jack of all trades at my current employer for 14 years. I have worked in customer service, graphic design, accounting, and now web design (WordPress) for the company. I have no college degree, but did attend 3 years of college, and have no certifications. (Jack of all trades, master of none so to speak)

I make pretty good money at the company (more than $75k), but for my sanity I really need a change. I have the opportunity to take the CCENT certification program online for free from a university that my father teaches at. I am very interested, but wanted to reach out to the community here first.

At my age (47), what route would you recommend? Do I go for the CCENT (then go back and do Net+?), or go for CCNA/Security next? Or should I not bother due to my age, plus having zero experience in the industry?

Is it realistic to knock a couple of certfications out over the next 1.5 years, and go for a entry level networking position? I know I won't make near as much, but that is ok. I am married and my wife works. How long would it take to make even say $50k a year? You can shoot straight - you won't hurt my feelings. I respect any input I get, that is why I am asking.

I just want to know if you think I could/should proceed, or will it be difficult to obtain those goals before my age catches up with me, and I have little chance at employment opportunities? Thank you - I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thomas

Comments

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do what ever sparks your interest. I dont think age is a limiting factor. Especially for you, you are only 47. Good luck.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Depends on what you want to do... Are you looking to specialize in something? Is there a particular niche of IT that you'd rather move in to? Are you just wanting to move to another company? The DFW area is booming with jobs, so you'll have no trouble finding something.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say go for it , as long as your wife supports your decision to change careers. Being happy is more important than money at the end of the day.

I can't really say how long it would take to make $50,000 or more.

You would probably start out at 10.00-20.00 an hour in a help desk role.

I would say finish your degree. While you're working on your degree knock out the A+ and CCNA. The degree, your certs, and your customer service experience will definitely help you land a job in IT.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hello, I am 48 myself, and the past year I knocked out my CISSP, ITILv3 (which to be fair was easy), and my CCNA Routing and Switching. As others stated, do what you find passion in. And do NOT let your age discourage you, ever! My old man, who was a math and science teacher for most his career, was tasked by his public school district and got started in IT himself at 59 to manage the school's network systems, and before he retired last year, earned a few certs to help him do his job. (Granted being of scientific training probably gave him a great advantage). Myself, I am passionate about IT security, my own plans going forward are to learn and gain certs, as well as employment, in that field.
  • Options
    This sounds a lot like my father's situation. He is the one sparking my interest because he knows I want a change. I will just moving forward with the CCENT for now, and progress from there. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Obviously, your mileage may vary, but I think it's realistic to get up to 50k within a year or two(if not starting out at that much) with a well placed job move or two. This kind of presupposes you get your certs and get some good experience. You should look for a job that not only gives you a good experience now, but will also help set you up to get the next job after that. A job on the helpdesk resetting passwords all day isn't as good as a job on the helpdesk where you might have read only privileges on a switch.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hehe yes my father sparked my interest in fitness; he's 70 and still runs 5k at leas 5 days a week, and every other year runs in a marathon, when he ran his first, also at 59, and I was obese, I asked myself why? So I got in shape.
    Interestingly enough, but not surprising, getting fit has helped my mind work better. And anytime!
    This sounds a lot like my father's situation. He is the one sparking my interest because he knows I want a change. I will just moving forward with the CCENT for now, and progress from there. Thanks for the advice!