Options

Relocation - AD Server

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey there,

I'm trying to find out how to relocate an AD server.

Building 1 and 2 both have AD servers. Building 2 is being closed down and I would like to have both servers at building one.
Both servers have AD/DNS/DHCP on them and they're on different subnets. I was told that they sync together for user accounts and computer accounts.
Also the servers have Barracuda back up appliance on them.

I was thinking of disabling DNS and DHCP, giving a different ip address and renaming the server from building B before I start.
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to how to do this? I've been looking around and I couldn't really find anything helpful.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What version of Windows? You can just transfer the roles and demote.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rename/reip for ADDS is tricky, do only if you know what you are doing and not sooner than you do it for a test replica of a prod domain in virtual isolated network.

The simplest solution looks to be just disabling DHCP on the 2nd DC and bringing it to building 1 as it is.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on the OS but do you only have 1 DC at building 1 currently? As far as DHCP I would leave it running on both but configure them with different scopes. This will allow you to have a backup DHCP server and avoid conflicts. Example would be DC#1 with a scope of xxx.xxx.xxx.100-xxx.xxx.xxx.150 and DC#2 with a scope of xxx.xxx.xxx.151-xxx.xxx.xxx.200. DNS can run on both once you get the right subnet configured on it.