Options

My 10 Career Advancement Commandments

CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
  1. Build your technical experience with some OJT.
  2. Stay informed about the latest trends and best practices.
  3. Obtain relevant certifications that will help advance your career.
  4. Work on selling yourself in an interview process.
  5. Don't be complacent in one role or company that does not have opportunities for growth.
  6. Don't be afraid to ask a Senior IT professional to be your mentor.
  7. Build your professional network with IT professionals at different companies.
  8. Be willing to negotiate job offers and also willing to walk away if it doesn't meet your minimum expectations.
  9. Be a leader even if you're not in management.
  10. Set high expectations for yourself.
Don't make 6 figures the goal but the standard!!! I hope these inspire and encourage you to embrace your greatness!!!

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. Be willing to negotiate job offers and also willing to walk away if it doesn't meet your minimum expectations.

Love this one........
  • Options
    Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent list CryptoQue.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Me too, earlier this year I turned down a Senior IT Manager job because the company insisted on lowballing the salary.
    1. Be willing to negotiate job offers and also willing to walk away if it doesn't meet your minimum expectations.

Love this one........
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One that needs to be on there: Understand that how you communicate and how you work with team members means more than your technical ability. No one ever got fired for being polite or communicating clearly.
  • Options
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Me too, earlier this year I turned down a Senior IT Manager job because the company insisted on lowballing the salary.

Not only did you do the right thing for yourself you did the right thing for the market in general.

Hats off to you.
  • Options

Love this one........

Thanks. I think this is one of the most important things when searching for career advancement. I've seen a lot of people make the mistake of accepting a bad offer that they later regretted. Some people have made this mistake out of anger with their current employer, being affiliated with a "big name" company, etc. Sometimes it's best to walk away and try again.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 rep.

Love this list. I am going to print this out and keep it on my fridge at home.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    One that needs to be on there: Understand that how you communicate and how you work with team members means more than your technical ability. No one ever got fired for being polite or communicating clearly.

Very true. Communication can make or break how co-worker perceive you. Also, communication must have the proper delivery. It's not about what you say but about how it is said.
  • Options
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    Thanks. I think this is one of the most important things when searching for career advancement. I've seen a lot of people make the mistake of accepting a bad offer that they later regretted. Some people have made this mistake out of anger with their current employer, being affiliated with a "big name" company, etc. Sometimes it's best to walk away and try again.

This one is sooo big and awareness is imperative.

Before you know it you'll be rolling off the help desk and you'll be overwhelmed by success and you don't negotiate because you are just "glad to be there", such a poor mindset and overall strategy. You potentially caused irreversible financial damage to your career. You only have so many minutes on this earth, you better maximize your earnings......
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great list! Thanks for sharing.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options