Options

Computer Training Schools

Dezso3Dezso3 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am planning on taking the A+ course in New York City but there are at least a couple of places that offer it, including the ACE Computer Training School, The Technical Institute of America, and NYBI. They all seem like good schools with good ratings on Google and whatnot, so it becomes hard to decide which one is the best. How do I decide?

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If i was doing it, i would try to find out with schools have relationships with employers.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your bent on a course with a school, then the above comment is a great consideration. But really, it's the A+ exam, there's lots of free resources including study sheets, videos, practice tests and all that online. If you wanted to get practice tests or study guide books, those are pretty cheap. It's a lot of material to cover but most of it doesn't go too deep. Why commit so much time and money to an institution for the cert?
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Youre not going to learn anything better than at a community college.

Go to Borough of Manhattan Community College and sign up for their adult learning evening courses or something. You might get financial aid.

If thats far, go to New York City College of Technology (downtown Brooklyn (Jay St station)). They are another CUNY subsidized school and costs next to nothing.

I prefer either as I've attended both.

ask me any questions.

Just dont go to one of those bs schools that will rob you of 50k.

speaking of rob you. You can get your A+ in a month or so max with just a $20 book and some free videos.

just saying.... took me 2 weeks for both.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Youre not going to learn anything better than at a community college.

Go to Borough of Manhattan Community College and sign up for their adult learning evening courses or something. You might get financial aid.

If thats far, go to New York City College of Technology (downtown Brooklyn (Jay St station)). They are another CUNY subsidized school and costs next to nothing.

I prefer either as I've attended both.

ask me any questions.

Just dont go to one of those bs schools that will rob you of 50k.

speaking of rob you. You can get your A+ in a month or so max with just a $20 book and some free videos.

just saying.... took me 2 weeks for both.

A while ago, udemy was offering "courses" on A+ for $10-$15 a piece. There was the teaching course 901, the practice exams course 901, the teaching course 902, the practice exams course 902. If you bought all four of those courses, it would be like $40-$60.

Bluntly speaking, no college course is going to better prepare you for A+ than the video courses on udemy. So before you sign up for a college course, consider if it's really worth spending the extra money. I don't think so.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    davec8080 wrote: »
    A while ago, udemy was offering "courses" on A+ for $10-$15 a piece. There was the teaching course 901, the practice exams course 901, the teaching course 902, the practice exams course 902. If you bought all four of those courses, it would be like $40-$60.

Bluntly speaking, no college course is going to better prepare you for A+ than the video courses on udemy. So before you sign up for a college course, consider if it's really worth spending the extra money. I don't think so.

Its worth it if you are looking for a degree at the same time. Everyone's situation is different though. As long as you don't go to a ripoff training school, you are good. the only way I would spend good money on a cert is if it is getting me college credits in the process. Most schools integrate lower level certs with an A.A. So if you can squeeze the full 100% effort outside of class, you'll guarantee a pass and an A grade.

I mentioned those CC's in NYC as they are practically free for the majority of the population there. In fact, everyone's so poor (like myself at one time) that NY State grants Paid me to go to school (~$2500 cash per term after tuition at the time. not sure about it now.).

I do agree that a college class cannot get you fully there. In my experience at University of Maryland, you get maybe 60-75% of what you need to know. The rest has to come from myself before taking the exams.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dezso3 wrote: »
    I am planning on taking the A+ course in New York City but there are at least a couple of places that offer it, including the ACE Computer Training School, The Technical Institute of America, and NYBI. They all seem like good schools with good ratings on Google and whatnot, so it becomes hard to decide which one is the best. How do I decide?

The A+ like any other certification, can be accomplished through self-study. Buy a used PC/laptop on eBay or Craigslist or use your old Pc and take it apart. Buy a A+ book and start reading. You will save a good 1K by doing this.